When you hear about Idaho I would bet a steak dinner the first thing you think of is potatoes. This has been ingrained in the minds of many across the country with all the media focused on that popular and important crop Idaho produces.
This past January, 2007 Boise State University made news when their football team fired the shot heard around the sports world when the underdog Boise State Broncos team defeated the Oklahoma Sooners in the now famous 2007 "Fiesta Bowl".
Well there is another "Gem' in Idaho very few talk about and fewer yet have even heard about. I am referring to "College of Idaho". Joe Albertson was a huge contributor to the college and is the founder of the famous "Albertsons Grocery Store" which roots started in Idaho and is now one of he largest grocery store food chains in the nation.
A millionaire, Joe Albertson had a fondness in his heart for the then liberal arts college "College of Idaho" which was founded in 1811 by Dr. Rev. William Judson Boone. Joe Albertson loved the college so much and believed in it so much he has donated millions of dollars to the college. In 1991 the college was renamed to "Albertson College of Idaho".
You May ask what would motivate a man like Joe Albertson to embrace and invest in a small Liberal Arts College in little ole Caldwell ID? Consider this:
- Approximately 800 students from over 20 states and 10 nations call Albertson College of Idaho home.
- Student/faculty ratio is 11:1
- Average Class size is 10
- The Princeton Review recently ranked Albertson College of Idaho twelfth in the country for "Professors Bringing Material to Life."
- The college offers 27 majors and 36 minors in it's baccalaureate degree program
- 80% of classes have 15 or fewer students
- Average incoming freshmen GPA is 3.6, with mean scores of 1140 on SAT and 26 on the ACT
- USCSA Alpine Ski Teams are 4-time defending Men's and Woman's Northwest Conference Champions.
- The Volleyball Team claimed the 2005 Cascade Conference and NAIA Region One Championship.
- The Men's Cross Country team earned a birth in the 2005 NAIA National Championship and was ranked 8th in the nation.
- The Albertson debate team has won six Northwest Conference Division II Championships in a row and has received numerous national awards in recent years, routinely defeating much larger institutions.
No, did not attend Albertson College of Idaho but Caldwell is my hometown and my heart swells with pride to know this incredible College is in my community and part of Idaho.
My Related posts:
- Boise River of Idaho
- Caldwell Idaho
- Deer Flat Wildlife Refuge - Nampa, Idaho
- Canyon County Idaho ranks 39th in the Nation for growth between 2000-2006
Marketed By: George Tallabas - Boise Idaho Real Estate Agent - Associate Broker
with RE/MAX Advantage, Canyon Counties #1 Brokerage in sales and listings
specializing in Boise Idaho Real Estate and Southwest Idaho Real Estate.