The holidays are almost here! What a great time to "Pop By" your A-list clients and prospects in your database with some holiday cheer and good tidings! According to Brian Buffini, a small token of appreciation or "item of value" can go a long way in building strong relationships and generating referrals. Just remember - appreciation wins out over self promotion every time!
Here are some simple, cost effective gift ideas:
- Holiday Ornaments: you can purchase plain glass balls in bulk at CostCo or Sam's Club, tie it up with some lovely ribbon add a simple card and you have a great gift!
- Something that will last all year long - A household tool or measuring tape is useful and most people keep them in the "catch all drawer" in the kitchen where it's handy.
- Small magnetic calendars that you can personalize with your business card. These are very inexpensive and everyone can use a 2009 calendar!
- What about a set of holiday return address labels for your client. A sheet of printed labels costs about 50 cents. (And we can help you format, design and print them! Yes, it's a shameless plug for our services)
- Coupons. Negotiate with a neighborhood store or restaurant for a free appetizer or dessert or a 10% discount on certain items. Most businesses are agreeable to offering joint coupons, because you are giving them free advertising!
- Candles are always a great idea - as a decoration or when/if the power goes out! Check out the deals at the Dollar Store and stock up.
- If you are somewhat capable in the kitchen, there are some great recipes for homemade Spiced Tea, Hot Chocolate and easy Candy recipes! Just wrap them up in some green or red plastic wrap or a small mason jar with a pretty bow! (I have all of those recipes if you need them!)
And don't forget to include a simple note with your name and number.
No matter what "item of value" you choose for your "Pop By" this season, remember the purpose - to build and cultivate client relationships that will last throughout the year!