Whether you have recently moved into your home or have lived in it for many years, one of the most important things you can do is develop a home maintenance plan. Your home is likely to be your single most important and most valuable investment. Routine maintenance can help you protect your investment and prevent you from encountering costly problems later. It will also help you get top dollar down the road when you decide to sell.
Here are some items to include in your annual maintenance plan:
- Interior: Fresh paint is an inexpensive way to give your home a face-lift. Clean out the clutter. See my post on Eliminating Clutter - Spring Cleaning - Garage Sale Tips
- Exterior: Check the roof for loose shingles or tiles. Check the gutters and downspouts. Inspect the exterior walls for cracking or weather-damaged siding.
- Water: Check pipes for cracks and leaks. Test the water pressure and drains to make sure the pipes aren't clogged.
- Electricity: Check the breaker box and fuses. Look for signs of wear. Make sure there are no exposed wires.
- Heating/Air Conditioning: Have your system serviced every year. Clean and vacuum dust from vents. Don't forget to replace the filters every 30 days.
- Basement and Attic: Check for signs of dampness, leaking, or flooding. Look for dry rot and termites.
Your home's annual checkup is important. Based on that, you can schedule the actual maintenance and repairs seasonally to make the job easier.
Phillip Cross, e-PRO REALTOR®
Helping people achieve their dreams, one home sale at a time.
RE/MAX 1st Advantage
2033 E Joppa Rd Parkville, Maryland 21234
Office: (410) 882-6000
Mobile: (443) 677-7114
Serving Buyers & Sellers in the Greater Baltimore Metropolitan Area