Ok- many people get stressed about the holidays. Most of the people we know feel over-booked, like they have too much to do and don't take the time to really enjoy the season. They feel pressure to:
- Entertain- friends, relatives, in-laws
- Shop for the "right" gift
- Have too many parties
- Eat too much rich food (and, drinks)
- Not take the time to think, sleep or relax
But, this year, there is an additional component to our normal holiday stress. The economic bad news can add an almost unbearable level of stress, especially if you haven't quite accomplished your financial goals for the year.
Here are 5 stress busters- just for this year:
- Take a walk- seriously. It is vital to get a little fresh air and just a little exercise. It helps calm your mind- especially if you mentally say your affirmations while walking. That will kick in those famed endorphins.
- Turn off the news. No really! Many people recommend it. But, what good does it do to you when day after day you listen to the vagaries of the economy? We know it is tough. Acknowledge it and do something productive; don't obsess.
- Prepare a list before you shop; that way you won't overspend. If you hate shopping, purchase your gifts online. They wrap and deliver.
- Do something nice for someone else. Anything: hold an Open House for one of your colleagues who needs a hand, reach out to be kind to someone who feels sad, and help at a charity event. You know we feel better when we are thinking of and helping others - that's who we are as real estate professionals.
- Say "no." You really don't have to do it all. Be selective with your time. S pend it with people who love and cherish you. Take a moment to restore yourself. We are stronger when we see ourselves reflected in the eyes of people who love us.
From someone who loves this time of year - I wish you joy!