Alternative Heat Sources - Remember there may be Dangers

By
Real Estate Agent with Prudential Verani Realty

With all the recent inclement weather here in New Hampshire and a major snowstorm in progress here, I would like to warn people about some dangers connected to alternative heat sources.

Many here in New Hampshire have, of necessity, installed alternative heat sources in our homes in case we lose power. Some have wood stoves, pellet stoves,  gas stoves or fireplaces and some have generators or a combination. Whatever you have for backup heat, please be sure you use it with the safety of your family in mind.

gas stove   c j tuscano

Improper ventilation of these type of alternative heat sources can lead to carbon monoxide poisoning. If you have a wood stove or fireplace be sure your flue works properly and the chimney is cleaned at least once a year. If you have a pellet stove or gas stove or fireplace, be sure there are no obstructions around the vent (especially snow which tends to pile up in a storm) If you have a generator, be sure to keep it at least ten feet from the outside of your home, away from doors and windows as the fumes can get into the home and build up without your knowledge.

For more information go to my Wordpress.com blog.

Be careful and stay warm this winter.

Judy Tuscano, REALTOR

Your NH Real Estate Professional

Prudential Verani Realty

603-498-2263 cell phone

jude1220@yahoo.com

Comments (8)

Marchel Peterson
Results Realty - Spring, TX
Spring TX Real Estate E-Pro

Judy, That is very good lifesaving advice that you are sharing!!

Dec 19, 2008 02:57 PM
Todd Clark
eXp Realty LLC - Tigard, OR
Principle Broker Oregon

I even suggest if you use your wood stove or fireplace everyday for your heat source that you clean it twice a year. I've had a chimney fire and it isn't fun!

Todd Clark, Helping Families Home - www.IFoundYourNewHome.com

Dec 19, 2008 04:03 PM
Judy Tuscano
Prudential Verani Realty - Nottingham, NH
NH Real Estate Professional

Marchel - you are welcome - it seems that people need to be reminded from time to time especially during the cold months.

Todd - you are so right - cerasote(not sure of the spelling) can build up in the chimney and that  hardens encrusting on the liner of your chimney and can catch on fire.

Dec 20, 2008 01:03 AM
Linda Scanlan
A Consumer's View - Burleson, TX

Hi Judy, I've never heard of pellet stoves.  Generators and space heaters scare me because of the carbon monoxide...you just need to be SAFE!

Have a wonderful Christmas!

Dec 22, 2008 10:18 AM
Judy Tuscano
Prudential Verani Realty - Nottingham, NH
NH Real Estate Professional

Linda - a pellet stove burns wood pellets and is quite efficient. They are very popular here in NH. Have a blessed Christmas. Come visit, we have lots of snow.

Dec 22, 2008 02:34 PM
George Souto
George Souto NMLS #65149 FHA, CHFA, VA Mortgages - Middletown, CT
Your Connecticut Mortgage Expert

Judy I remember having to heat the house with a space heater when I was growning up.  We had no choice because it was the only source of heat, luckly we never had anything happen.

Dec 23, 2008 04:30 AM
Todd Clark
eXp Realty LLC - Tigard, OR
Principle Broker Oregon

Just another update, be grateful you can use an alternative heat source. California just outlawed fireplaces in new construction and Washington state a couple weeks ago said they would fine people people if they caught them using wood heat. (It was 22 degrees out)

Feb 28, 2009 08:40 PM
Judy Tuscano
Prudential Verani Realty - Nottingham, NH
NH Real Estate Professional

Todd - thanks for the update - isn't it amazing how the government is regulating even how we heat our homes under the guise of widespread protection. What ever happened to good old common sense and an ability for each family to make it's own choices? Even here in the "live free or die" state of NH the government is overstepping it's bounds in unprecidented ways.

Mar 01, 2009 12:33 AM