A day out on the lake jet-skiing or canoeing in a river is relaxing and always a good time. However, if you're not careful, an accident can crop up out of nowhere and ruin the fun. Here are a few pointers to take with you on your watercraft:
- Only travel on specified waterways. This goes for launching your watercraft as well.
- Always wear a life jacket.
- Maintain a safe speed on your watercraft and remember to always go slowly through shallow areas.
- Always be sure you have the right amount of fuel for your trip.
- Only re-board your watercraft from the back of it.
- Be sure that someone on shore knows of your travel plans. Tell them when to expect you back.
- As most watercrafts don't have lights, avoid riding at night.
- Do not weigh down the watercraft too heavily.
- Always bring a first aid kit, flashlights, batteries, and a fire extinguisher.
- Always check the weather forecast before setting off.
- It's never a good idea to become intoxicated while on a watercraft.
- Keep your watercraft insurance policy updated annually.
For more information on watercraft insurance and safety, contact us today! We're HO Insurance, based in Altamonte Springs, Florida.