Preventing Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

By
Home Inspector with A2Z Home Inspections

Here is a recent interview I had with WNEP news on Carbon Monoxide poisoning

Preventing CO Poisoning

Posted: Jan 15, 2009 04:59 PM

Last Updated: Jan 15, 2009 05:00 PM

link to video

By Wendy McNew

As you turn up the heat this winter season experts say the threat of carbon monoxide is much greater but there are ways to protect yourself.

Carbon monoxide is called the silent killer. According to the Environmental Protection Agency it is responsible for thousands of deaths a year.

With the recent cold snap experts say there are ways to keep you and your family safe.

Chris Duphily of A2Z Home Inspections made a call Thursday to Meyers Real Estate office just off Route 115 in Effort.

He's checking for what he calls a silent killer, carbon monoxide, a colorless, tasteless, and nearly odorless gas that can kill.

"It's responsible for about 1,500 deaths annually according to the CPSC and the EPA,"Chris Duphily said.

Owner Bob Meyer said he wanted Duphily to come out because he installed a new furnace about a year ago and wanted to make sure it was venting correctly.

Most carbon monoxide exposure is caused from poor ventilation in heating systems.

"I thought it was a good time to see if it is working properly, if it is set up properly, the air flow and such or if anything changed since the installation last year," Meyer said.

To keep safe, Duphily advises both home owners and businesses to get their chimneys and heating systems checked and cleaned at least once a year.

"Maintained, I mean, have a licensed HVAC contractor come out and clean the flue, check the draft, make sure that everything is within spec of the manufacturer," Duphily explained.

Also, keep carbon monoxide detectors up to date.

"Carbon monoxide and smoke detectors are extremely important. One thing different about carbon monoxide detectors is they need to be replaced every five years as per manufacturers instructions," Duphily added.

Fortunately for Meyers Real Estate their carbon monoxide test came back negative.

Symptoms of carbon monoxide exposure include headaches and nausea. If you are experiencing these and think you have been exposed to carbon monoxide, open your windows and call your local fire department.

 


 
close

This entry hasn't been re-blogged:

Re-Blogged By Re-Blogged At
Location:
Pennsylvania Monroe County Marshalls Creek
Groups:
Home Inspections Q & A
Ask the Home Inspector
Home Selling Assistance
Home Inspectors across the country
Inspection & Real Estate Nightmares
Tags:
carbon monoxide poisoning
home inspector stroudsburg pa
carbon monoxide testing nepa
home inspector dingmans ferry pa

Post a Comment
Spam prevention
Spam prevention
Show All Comments
Rainmaker
10,934
Glen Kotulek
Home Critique Property Inspections LLC - Austin, TX
Austin Home Inspector, schedule online www.homecritiquepi.com

I always put in a statement advising for the installation of a CO monitor in homes with gas appliances or gas logs in the fireplace due to the dangers associated with CO.  Best to be informative and helpful to our customers.

Jan 19, 2009 01:06 AM #1
Rainer
48,055
Ian Niquette
Square One Home Inspection - Markesan, WI

Was that in your local paper Chris. Real nice, good advertising and the public sees you as a needed service.

Jan 27, 2009 12:20 PM #2
Rainer
9,840
Chris Duphily
A2Z Home Inspections - Stroudsburg, PA
Stroudsburg PA Home Inspector

Hi Glen - I agree, being helpful is what seperates the good inspectors from the pack.... and keeps our past clients coming back to us for advice. Thanks for posting.

 

Thanks Ian - It was a report on a local tv station wnep channel 16 news. It was good visibility for my company on an extrememly important service. Thanks for the comment.

 Stay safe!

Jan 28, 2009 03:17 AM #3
Rainmaker
220,844
Jim Mushinsky
Centsable Inspection - Framingham, MA

Once you get their attention with Carbon Monoxide, let them know about other combustion pollutants.

Here is some text from the CPSC..

Some of the common pollutants produced from burning these fuels are carbon monoxide, nitrogen dioxide, particles, and sulfur dioxide. Particles can have hazardous chemicals attached to them. Other pollutants that can be produced by some appliances are unburned hydrocarbons and aldehydes.

Combustion always produces water vapor. Water vapor is not usually considered a pollutant, but it can act as one. It can result in high humidity and wet surfaces. These conditions encourage the growth of biological pollutants such as house dust mites, molds, and bacteria.

Feb 05, 2009 04:20 PM #4
Rainmaker
179,891
Jack Gilleland
Home Inspection and Investor Services, Clayton - Clayton, OH

Hey Chris, didn't know you were a TV star.  I would have used a couple of "yes sirs" in our conversation. Kidding aside, great commercial for you and the use of CO detectors.

Feb 10, 2009 02:11 PM #5
Rainer
9,840
Chris Duphily
A2Z Home Inspections - Stroudsburg, PA
Stroudsburg PA Home Inspector

Jim - I agree, the more we educate the consumer the more they can protect their family.

 

Hi Jack, long time no see ;) - Thanks for the kudos ....no movie star here. I was just glad to get some information out to the public. There are still too many people using kerosene heaters for their heat source not realizing they are poisoning themselves.

Feb 10, 2009 09:19 PM #6
Rainmaker
33,086
Randy King
Prokore Inspections - Mankato, MN

Good article, just wrote one of similar subject, good information for the general public.

Feb 23, 2009 10:57 PM #7
Rainer
11,503
Rick McCullough
Alert Home Services - Denver, CO

Cardon Monoxide Detectors, I have found so many of those during inspections in the furnace area. That furnace doesn't really care if it goes off. It will keep on spewing out CO. I ALWAYS recommend if your going to have a CO detector put it in your BEDROOM. You want it to wake you up so you can leave. One other note, First Alert CO Detectors are junk in my opinion. Buy a Kiddie/NIGHTHAWK brand. They are the best affordable ones on the market. I recommend that ALL homes have at least one, again in the BEDROOM. And another in the livingroom for when you fall asleep during that late night boring TV show your know your going to watch.

Stay SAFE and ALIVE

Feb 28, 2009 07:28 AM #8
Rainer
34,260
Tony Stiles
The BrickKicker Inspection Services - Omaha, NE

Good stuff Chris!

Mar 02, 2009 03:58 AM #9
Rainmaker
33,086
Randy King
Prokore Inspections - Mankato, MN

Hi Glen good post, just made one a couple of weeks ago for their importance in our state.

Mar 14, 2009 02:40 AM #10
Rainer
113,691
Nikki Marlatt-Young
At Ease Home Inspections - Arbutus, MD
Housing & Rental Inspections

That is great Chris!  It's always great to be interviewed....

So far my fame has only made it to the Baltimore Sun...  I was interviewed a couple months ago in reference to County rental property owner's compliance to the new Baltimore County Rental Inspection law passed her in Maryland.

Some of the news channels here in MD interviewed one of my local Home Inspector Competiotors. Maybe one day I will make it big time!    ~lol~

Rick ~~~~~  I totally agree with you about the Detectors placed in other parts of the home.. 

That is the awesome thing about being a Home Inspector..... we are also EDUCATORS!! 

And the main reason why I try to learn as much as I can so I can pass on what I learn to others.

 

 

 

Mar 17, 2009 01:46 AM #11
Rainmaker
33,086
Randy King
Prokore Inspections - Mankato, MN

Good post, very true about carbon monoxide replacement. I am starting to see old units in homes that are not working properly anymore.

Mar 25, 2009 12:23 AM #12
Rainer
64,862
Chris Minion
O'Brien Realty - Lexington Park, MD

Hi Chris,

Terrific post!  Thank you for sharing it with us!  Good information for consumers.

Chris

 

Nov 19, 2009 11:25 AM #13
Rainer
166,615
Andy Chaudoir
Professional Inspection Services - Georgetown, Texas - Georgetown, TX
Your Home Inspection Connection in Central Texas

Hello Chris - Thanks for the great information.  Congratulations on making it on to your local news!

Mar 31, 2010 12:38 AM #14
Post a Comment
Spam prevention
Show All Comments

What's the reason you're reporting this blog entry?

Are you sure you want to report this blog entry as spam?

Rainer
9,840

Chris Duphily

Stroudsburg PA Home Inspector
Ask me a question
*
*
*
*
Spam prevention

Additional Information