Dr George Washington Chase started the Chase Candy Company in 1876 when he had difficulty of raising a family on a doctor's meager wage. His son persuaded him to hire two expert candy makers and worked the idea into the Chase fine confections, working on the second floor of the store.
In St. Louis, Mr. Busch was brewing his first batch of beer and Alexander Graham Bell was making his famous telephone call.
Chase Candy became known throughout the Midwest in a few years for the hand dipped chocolate candies.
Cherry Mash became one of the countries best selling candy bars, after being firstly named the Cherry Chase and secondly known as the Cherry Chaser around 1918. The company by the mid 1920's had made over 500 different candies including candy bars.
In 1944 the company sold to Yantis and Company an investment firm in Chicago.
In 1954 the company acquired Bunte Brothers Candy and the company became known as Bunte-Chase and all production was consolidated to a huge plant in Chicago.
The Chicago plant closed in 1961 and returned Chase and Cherry Mash back to St Joseph.
The Cherry Mash is different than most candy bars with a pink cherry flavored center and covered with chocolate and peanut topping. Twenty-Two full time employees produce over 50,000 Cherry Mashes daily until the fall season when additional part time employees are added to make fudge and other holiday candies working 7 days a week.
Cherry Mash has been a favorite of mine since childhood and remains to be so. A word of warning though~you can't just eat one alone as a second one is nearly always required for a true candy lover.
There recently was a nice article in americanprofile.com about Cherry Mash.