Today Kris Berg over at Inman.com posted a great entry to their blog entitled, "Countering real estate information overload". Kris writes a great blog on San Diego housing and is a columnist for Inman News. This column really made me revisit something that we often times forget in this age of information overload and technology whirlwind...
"You are the #1 Absolute Resource of Factual Information for your clients... PERIOD"
Tell me there isn't a statistic that you know is wrong in the newspaper you read the other day.
Tell me that person walking into your open house knows ALL about the inventory and neighborhood.
Tell me that the FSBO has priced and marketed their house exactly the way they should.
Tell me that local news anchor knows what the F*&K they're talking about.
Tell me the SP Case Schiller report is 100% true for this neighborhood and that one .5 miles away.
"I am the number 1 resource for Real Estate Data for all my clients"
If you say this, then pull your head out of the sand, quit drowning your sorrow in Mimosa's and online bitch-sessions, and start acting like it.
- Use your head, your talent, consult a coach (if you have one) or a broker if you don't.
- Educate yoursef to the teeth through your local board and educational classes
- Learn some new technology
- Setup Google Reader and find out what your clients are actually reading
- Register on your competitors sites and find out how they are contacting them.
- Pull a CMA on ALL the properties you have sold in the past and TAKE THEM TO YOUR CLIENTS TO EXPLAIN
Most of all, GET OFF YOUR @SS AND START WORKING TO MAKE A DIFFERENCE. 8 million people gathered yesterday to hear our new President speak and not once did he stand up there and say, "Oh, don't worry... Everything will be fine... I'll make it right." He stood there and told America to it's face that NOW is the time that WE have to take this challenge and make it right. Well, I think that should resonate in every ear of every Realtor across this nation. Now is the time to stand up and get to work.
- If you liked this post and think more people should read it... flag it and submit it for a feature.
- If you want to read more stuff like this on a daily basis... subscribe to my blog at www.TheYouFactor.com
- If you want to collaborate on ideas how to do this... join our Facebook Group here and friend me
- If you want to know all the craph that bounces in my brain... follow me on Twitter here
But whatever you do, make sure you do something and don't become one of those just, "Waiting for the market to Change"... Because that isn't the Change we need.
- Matt Dollinger