John Jones, my Marketing Rep at Advanced Access has tagged me. The idea of the game is that each person gets to share a little about themselves that not everyone might be aware of and then tag several other people to do the same. It was a little odd, because I have had a script running through my mind for about a week now, very close to this theme, so, John has forced me to write it.
When I was 13, I started writing poetry and dreamed of being a journalist. In high school I took journalism and creative writing and wanted to be a top-notch reporter. My essays always earned an A or B and I spent almost every night at the library reading.
At age 22, I sold my first home as a FSBO. My then husband and I had bought it as an FHA foreclosure, lived in it 3 years, sold it and bought another home. At age 30, I sold our home again as a FSBO and this time we moved to Denver, Colorado.
A bitter divorce and a few extra pounds caused me to take up running. My anger raged and my therapist told me to "put your anger to work for you", so I started competing. In the very first 5K I entered, I placed 2nd in the 40-45 age group. I was hooked, and then ran 12 races in 9 weeks and placed in the top three of all of them. The 12th race was sponsored as a benefit for the U.S. Ski team and by then I had very painful shin splints. The running continued for 24 years. I retired from competition in 2006 after two first place finishes and one third place in the 5K (60+ age group) at the Gran Maraton Pacifico in Mazatlan.
I have had a real estate license since 1984, but at various times worked in the construction/development field. In 1990, I went back to college and majored in Civil Engineering and was employed as a construction project manager for an indian tribe and became involved with the local building officials. In 1995, I was licensed by the state of Florida as a building inspector.
After exactly 20 years of being single(parent), I met my current husband Dave on Match.com. Dave lived in Elko, NV which was a four hour drive from my home. We commuted on weekends for 12 months and were married at Lake Tahoe on August 7, 2004.
A reckless local city government where we live, compelled my husband and I to "speak up". I became very outspoken at local city council meetings and ran for a city council seat in the summer of 2008. I gave some very tough speeches and exposed many of our problems to the citizens. It was a huge risk as a Realtor in this small town. But, it was one of the best things I have ever done for myself. I still speak up at city council meetings (I didn't win the primary), and I publicly supported the winner of the seat. Through this, I have made many new friends and allies. At meetings, other citizens are constantly approaching me asking for my assistance and to speak for them. My public speaking skills have vastly improved and I believe everyone in town knows who I am!
By the way, if it wasn't for my experience as a building inspector/construction project manager, I would not have known all the "errors" of the local government. My husband's contribution as a Geologist played an important part in exposing the dangers of an arsenic water treatment plant next to residential homes.
My life is a mashup of my experiences, aspirations and what I believe in. I am a licensed FSBO, fierce competitor, Internet addict, investigative inspector and a journalist through blogging. I believe in people, God, the right to carry a gun, protection of property rights and freedom of speech. I still run, but now for personal enjoyment. My running partner is my beloved Jack Russel Terrier, named Fred.
I don't compromise myself, I passionately love my husband and we display these flags outside our home.
I can't thank John Jones enough for being my mentor and friend. John has exposed me to social media and I am connecting with people, joining groups and learning. In keeping with this viral tradition, I have chosen seven people I know to come up and share seven things that people may not exactly know about you.
1. Gary Rogers, Waltham Real Estate and President of the Massachusetts Assoc. of Realtors. Gary sent me an invitation to join his private group "RE/MAX Masterminds" on Linkedin.com after reading a post of mine about marketing on Facebook. Gary is an inspiration and leader!
2. Jim Sweet, a Collville, Washington RE/MAX agent. Jim gave me a referral and both he and the seller have become my best friends. I have now introduced them both to social media and feed them what I learn.
3. Han Tuttel, ICT Manager at RE/MAX Nederland. Han linked with me and I am amazed at his knowledge, active participation in life and professionalism. I hope to someday met Han personally.
4. Dave Costa of Renegade Concepts and publisher of the Reno Real Estate Book. Dave and his wife Laura are dedicated, hardworking and do a great job with my advertising.
5. Carlos Silva, a Las Vegas Realtor. Carlos sent an invitation to join his group discussion on REO's and short sales. Carlos does an excellent job of providing information and reaching out to other Realtors.
6. Ryan Flynn, an associate of mine at RE/MAX Complete in Sparks, NV. Ryan is young, eager and has a beautiful new home project in Sparks.
7. Kye Grace, a Real Estate agent with Sutton Group in Vancouver B.C. I don't know Kye, but he was featured in Geekestate Blog today for his innovative videos and marketing. Kye after your 72 hr. Open House, write a post!
Love Life, Live Life, Stay Strong, Be Wise, Life keeps you humble, Trials keep you strong.