I received this email this morning.
Thank you for showing my listing. FYI there is a $1000 bonus to the buyers agent if you write a contract by May 15. The owner is also considering finishing the basemant, which is very important for many buyers. So please if your buyer is still loking or you have a new buyer in mind considering making an extra $1000 this month and make another buyer happy.
I emailed her back and suggested the following:
1) REDUCE the price. The home has been on the market forever and there's a ton of competing homes.
2) INCREASE the commission. A time-limited bonus will NOT get agents out there any faster. But, a higher commission will attract more showings. And, then, what is the listing agent going to do when the bonus expires?
3) DO NOT SPEND MONEY FINISHING THE BASEMENT. It's not necessary and it will NOT help the home sell faster. If the seller has enough money to finish the basement then there are other things that can be done.
4) STAGE the house. The property should be immaculate! No dirt; no smells; no clutter.
5) Front landscape. Is there any landscaping? I showed a $600,000 home a few weeks ago that was 3 years old and not a tree, not a shrub, not a flower. That house wasn't going to sell quickly either.
6) PAY BUYER CLOSING COSTS. Or offer to buy down the first three years of the buyer's mortgage. Prepay the association, if any, fee. Include all appliances with the property.
What would you do? Or what are you doing in a slow market to get your listings sold?