I have to say the the Active Rain re-blog is a beautiful thing. It gives me the opportunity to have my Outside Blog readers get introduced to Kim Daugherty, a McKinney TX REALTOR, Broker and wonderful writer. Kim's post put a cool aid grin on my face. Sometimes people need a gentle reminder that we all have a life to live and Kim reminds us with humor and style.
I have been in real estate since 2001. Since then, I have spent a good part of my time in my career devoted to being a BUYER'S AGENT. I know buyers. I like buyers. I LOVE first-time home buyers. But with every client I work with, I am continuously reminded how little the general public knows about how real estate agents operate.
Myths abound as to the secret lives of Realtors. So, in an effort to clear things up, I decided to let you in on a few important facts about my career.
1. I don't can't work 24/7. If I did that, I would be no good to you. I have a family. I like to get to bed at a decent hour. I celebrate holidays. This would seem like a given, but I've had clients call me at 11:30 at night. Would you call your CPA at that time? Your doctor? No. Please respect the time of day you call. I'm happy to listen to your message, but understand that it might be during normal business hours that I get back to you.
2. Not all Realtors are Millionaires. We do not work on salary. If we don't sell something one month, we don't bring home any money. We are not paid hourly, by the mile, or by the number of showings we do. So, when you wonder why we ask a few "intrusive" questions before putting you in our car to show homes, it's just that we want to make sure you can actually afford to buy a home, and that we aren't wasting either of our time by looking at the wrong homes.
3. Clients are not HANDED to us. Our company does not simply hand us clients ready to sign a contract. This was a big misconception that I had to overcome. When I left RE/MAX and Keller Williams to start my own brokerage, some people said - "Well, where will you get your business from?". Answer: the same place I've always gotten my business - through referrals,networking, and smart marketing. I like to ask my clients when I first begin working with them to keep me in mind for anyone they know who needs my services. That way, I'm not spending all of my time working to get more business, I can focus on the clients I have and do a better job for them in the end.
4. My Crystal Ball is Not Working. Oh, wait...I don't have a crystal ball. I don't know what price the seller will take. I don't know how long it will take a home to sell. I don't know how many houses we'll have to look at before you find the right one. It is my job, though to find out as much information as possible and give that to you. It is my due diligence to research a property, to obtain disclosures and as much info as I can get from the other agent to help you make the most informed decision possible.
5. I'm working for YOU! Now, I know there are some not-so-truthful agents out there that spoil it for the rest of us, which is why you need to do a thorough job of selecting your agent. It is my JOB to protect YOUR best interests. I will not go behind your back. I will not lie or decieve you. It is not in my best interest. It would only hurt my relationship with you, in turn, stopping any kind of referrals you might send my way. I'm bound by the Realtor's Code of Ethics on this one!
6. I can sell homes not listed by me or my company....That is the benefit of belonging to the local MLS. By being an MLS member I participate in broker reciprocity - we can all show each other's listings, thus allowing us to uphold our duties in #5.
7. ...And in other cities OUTSIDE of the city that my office is located in. Just because my office is physically located in McKinney, TX, doesn't mean I can't sell outside these limits. Ask your agent what areas they serve. Chances are, they can help you in that city or help you find a reputable agent that does.
Whew, now that I've got that off my chest I feel a lot better.
Bottom line is this - I love my job. I do my job well. I just want you to understand the basics of how I work, so I can help you better! So let's do it - interest rates couldn't be better, and McKinney, TX and the surrounding areas are a Buyer's Market right now! Now is the best time to find your dream home...