I attend a lot of Parties, political, BNIs, school functions and events for the purpose of networking and promoting my company. I am a firm believer in putting it out there. Here are some of the issues and challenges that I have had to deal with and I thought I might share them as I try to overcome them as well.
- Always have a 30 second introduction ready to go.
- When introduced repent their name and use it almost immediate in a conversation.
- Google or find something out about the event ahead of time and be able to talk somewhat intelligent about it.
- Avoid if at all possible the drinking of alchol at an event.
- Make it easy for people to remember you by what you wear, having a tie in with you name. My last name is Stallions so when I introduce my self or some else does I all say, Stallions just like the horse, STALLIONS.
Be sure to have fun, laugh a lot, collect as many business cards as you can and thank whoever invited you. Always send thank you cards to anyone you spoke to as soon as possible no later than three days. I remember being at a Luncheon one time and a well known politician was there and we were briefly introduced. The next day I sent him a thank you card, called to say how nice it was that we met and a few days later I happened to be close to his office, so I stopped by reintroduced myself. We have since become really good friends and he has sent me at least seven customers in the last four years. One time he even got me on a TV show to answer some real estate questions related to a bill he was trying to get passed.