You should choose an agent to represent you if they:
- Are a professional. It costs twice as much when you hire an inexperienced agent.
- Are Ethical. Make sure they are protecting your interests.
- Have a great sales track record within the past year. What is their track record this year? Example: Stay away from agents that talk about how many homes they sold in the past years!
- Have an complete Internet Marketing Campaign. 85% of all buyers start their search online! Some agents will tell you open houses and the newspaper sell homes because they do not have an internet marketing campaign. Open houses and print advertising should be a part of the marketing mix, but they should never replace internet marketing.
- Can stand alone without their franchise. Some agents hide behind their company. They do not spend their own money marketing your home and do not really run their own business. The agent brand is just as important as the company brand.
- Work as a Full Time Agent. It takes a full time agent to service a listing properly.
You should not choose an agent:
- Just because they are a friend, family member or neighbor. Selling your home is a business decision. It is not always best to go into business with friends or family. However, if the agent is highly qualified for the job, then consideration can be made in this case.
- Just because they have been in the business for a long time. Time does not always equal experience. I have seen some new professional agents that have had more sales in a 1 year period than many agents in the business for 20 years!
- Just because they helped you buy a home or they were your buyers agent. A buyers agent and sellers agent hold different roles. You can find a professional that handles both buyers and sellers, but find out how many listings they sold within the past year.
- That treats their business as a hobby. Either the agent is "All in" or "All Out" Hire a professional full time agent.
- Just because they have a "Team" concept. Make sure that the listing agent handles your requests and questions. Most top producing agents and "Teams" have assistants. Make sure that you do not have you communicating soley through their assistant and the agent is unreachable.
- Just because they are "Nice." Nice does not sell homes. Of course personalities have to mesh and you want to get along with the agent. But, never trade an experienced and sucessful agent for just a nice agent.
- Just because they will list your home for a higher amount. I respect agents who tell their customers the truth, even if the information is not what they want to hear. Some agents "Buy" listings. They will tell you your home will sell above market value just to get the listing, then when it does not sell they will tell you to reduce the price. This only wastes valuable time for you and you end up getting much less for your home. Pricing it right from the beginning will eliminate pricing objections and you will find "Real" buyers in your listing price range.
To learn more about the services I offer both buyers and sellers, please visit my website at http://www.CNYAgent.com