Tax season is here again and the AARP Tax/Aide will have several volunteers in the Lake of the Ozarks area to help prepare hundreds of federal and state tax returns for lake area seniors. Lake area residents that make up to $50,000 can receive this free quality income tax assistance and tax form preparation.
There are still 64 days left before the deadline date of April 15th. However, people are already getting in line to get this free help from the AARP Tax/Aide. There were over 1,300 federal returns and over 500 state tax returns filed by lake area residents last year alone who qualified for this free assistance.
Taxes can get complicated for many of us, especially for those over the age of 60. The tax laws, forms and qualifications change each year and can be very confusing. AARP volunteers have had the necessary training and are prepared to handle all your tax preparation needs.
Some changes you need to be aware of this year are that low income residents may be eligible for a property tax credit. The government has also raised some income limits. Be sure to check with your tax preparer to make sure you received the correct amount on your stimulus payment. They will be able to tell you any possible mistakes and let you know what credit you will qualify for to get the best refund possible.
There will be five locations set up around the lake area.
· Westside Senior Center - Wednesdays, 9 am-4 pm, 875-5722 (Opens February 18th).
· Camdenton Library - Thursdays, 9 am-4 pm, 346-5954.
· Osage Beach Library - Tuesdays, 12:30 am-6 pm, 348-3282.
· Golden Age Retirement Center - Wednesdays, 9 am-4 pm (appt. only), 365-7365.
· Eldon Senior Center on Hwy. 87 - Tuesdays, 9 am-noon, 374-0138.
What to bring:
· W-2 forms from each employer
· Copy of last year's tax return
· Proof of what stimulus payment was from '08 (bring letter)
· Amount of estate tax paid in 2008
· If low-income, may qualify for property tax credit
· If received Social Security benefits, copy of SSA-1099