It's February! And like me, I'm sure the first thing you think of in February is your clothes dryer vent. (not...)
That's right it's Dryer Vent Safety Awareness Month. What you might not know is that according to the latest studies done by the US Fire Administration, each year clothes dryers are responsible for over 12,000 fires.
It's bad enough these fires cause $88 million in damages to property annually. However, the real tragedy is that dryer fires are to blame for an estimated 300 injuries and 15 deaths each year. The majority of these incidents occur during the coldest months of the year.
The number one cause of dryer fires is an excessive build up of lint. So, how can you possibly know when your dryer is becoming dangerous? Signs you may need dryer vent cleaning include:
· Loads of laundry taking longer than normal to dry
· Clothes not being fully dry after a normal cycle
· Clothes being hotter than usual after a drying cycle
· Condensation on the vent pipe
Some simple maintenance can greatly reduce the likelihood of you suffering the devastation of a dryer fire. The National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) provides the following recommendations to help maintain a safe dryer vent.
· Once a year have the lint cleaned out of the vent pipe
· Do not operate the dryer without a lint filter
· Clean the lint filter before or after each use
· Rigid or flexible metal vent pipe should be used (no vinyl)
· Avoid overloading the dryer
· Make sure the exhaust vent pipe is open and has no obstructions when the dryer is operating
· Never leave a dryer running when you leave home or go to bed
DUCTZ is trained and qualified to maintain your dryer vent. Hotels, nursing homes, apartment complexes, pet hospitals and countless home owners have trusted DUCTZ to clean their dryer vents.
If you notice any of the warning signs listed above or if you have not had your dryer vent cleaned in the past year, please call DUCTZ of North Phoenix and Deer Valley at 623-466-8625 to schedule a professional dryer vent cleaning service today. It's an inexpensive way to keep your loved ones and clients safe.
Happy Dryer Vent Safety Awareness Month from DUCTZ of North Phoenix and Deer Valley!