In a quest to pay off my student loans I received my license in Feb. 2007, first listing in July 2007, first sale in Aug 2007, million dollar designation in 2007 and multi-million dollar designation in 2008. I get asked how I was able to obtain this in a down market and with a slew of children, and the answer surprises people. So, I figured who better to share it with than all my ActiveRain friends.
1. Learn, learn, and learn some more. When I first got my license I was like a genius. I knew at least 70% of many useless facts such as what are required continuing education requirements for AZ real estate agents and what year and what order equal housing important items became law. I knew everything EXCEPT what to do next and how to sell a house. Thankfully I met Karen and Michael George. They pointed me in the direction of ActiveRain and the plethora of information contained on just one website. There were many times when I felt like I should be working but didn't know what to do so I would read, and read and then read some more. Some days I just read randomly and some days I focused on specific things like open houses, direct mail, etc.
2. Find something to advertise. I spent a day writing beautiful and moving advertisements. I wrote about what a wonderful Realtor I was ~ probably how I was available 24/7 for my very first client. I smothered these ads out for weeks, and guess what- nobody cared! What I learned is to find some property and advertise it. Advertise your house, offer to advertise some FSBOs, offer to advertise another agent's property. I don't care what it is or where you get it- if you want buyers to call you advertise something they want.
3. Keep on advertising. Feel free to search through my blogs, look back about a year and find the list of 50 free websites to advertise your listings. Or, just sweet talk me here and I am sure I will send it over to you :) There are many many sites to advertise on, although I must admit craigslist is probably where I get the bulk of my calls. If you really want your phone to ring leave off the important information like the square footage and price. And, if you want the contact information of all the people that call you, remember this little phrase- "I am sorry I don't have that file in front of me right now. Can I call you right back with that?" I know, I know you only have 1 listing and you can recite all the facts backwards, but bite your tongue and get the contact number.
4. Put as many properties as you can on PropertyNut.com. I know you are putting all your properties on all the free websites you can find. I know you are just approaching guru-hood and the financial rewards that come with it. But somethings are worth all the money you put into it and more. PropertyNut is one of them! TI know they do a lot of snazzy things and result in your advertisements being highly ranked on google but the best part to me is that they automatically repost your ads on craigslist... over and over and over! And, although you may not believe me now- you are going to be too busy to always put your own ads on craigslist. Sure you can do it when you have time, but that is too late! PropertyNut puts your ads up when you don't want them to, when you are with clients, when you are writing offers and when you are spending your commissions. They do it when you can't and don't want to, and you know what that keeps you busy. there have been times when I noticed my ads were ran and I honestly thought I was too busy and wanted to go flag the ads, but I realized that is the only way to keep things in the pipeline and to continue to have good month after good month. Oh, and I happened to see their booth at a trade show recently and will tell you that if you put PASADENA in the promo code spot you will get the current special :)
5. Reflect and learn every step of the way. Everything I do can be improved. Everything I do had some part that worked. Whenever I do a listing presentation, work with a client or do anything related to growing my business and making money I reflect and try to find what I did that worked and what didn't. Sometimes it is painfully obvious and sometimes I really have to think. Sometimes I come up with revolutionary changes in how I do things and even part of my business plan, regardless of the impact of the specific item this process is important to continue to grow regardless of how guru-sih you become.
So I wish you all the same success and fun I have had in real estate. I hope the above tips bring you the same results. Please let me know if you have any questions or if I can help in any way.