Technology plays a very important role in our real estate brokerage. From the syndication of our listings to lead generation, we use technology to maintain a competitive edge.
Each week, I search the internet to find new tech tools and gadgets. I read several reviews. I then select 2 or 3 sites to test during the week. If the site works as promised, I then put it on the list. On Monday afternoons, I meet with my business partner to review the sites and to discuss which sites may be useful to our agents. We then discuss how the sites can be incorporated into our real estate practice. We then select a website for the week and a real estate tech tip or gadget to discuss at our weekly sales meetings.
I was recently asked "How do you find these sites?" It is simple. I turn to these three tried and true websites:
Kim Komando: Kim Komando is a syndicated talk show host on CBS Radio appearing locally on KMOX FM1120. As she says, she is the "digital goddess" and is dedicated to "all things digital." Her website offers a wealth of information including:
- Newsletters: 4 Newsletters including a weekly newsletter, show tip of the day, cool site of the day, and show news of the day.
- Audio: Streaming audio and podcasts are available for paid subscribers.
- Columns: Syndicated technology columns appearing in USA Today, Microsoft's Website and other newspapers.
- Downloads: Download library includes free useful software downloads ranging from office tools to e-mail tools to web tools. All of the downloads are for FREE software.
- Websites: A list of websites with brief reviews covering websites ranging from tech tools to photos to homes and garden to finance to food.
- Tips: Tips on a host of issues ranging from hardware to software to networking to browers to security and privacy issues.
- Buying Guide: Buying guides with reviews of features and suggested pricing for almost any tech gadget.
MakeUseOf: MakeUseOf includes a small staff of tech savvy entrepreneurs who search the internet for tech tips, cool gadgets and new websites. The site is broken down into two basic areas:
- MakeUseOf Articles: This section offers how to guides, website and software reviews, and a daily recap called "Cool Websites and Tools."
- Directory of Apps: This section allows you to search for websites and tools by categories ranging from contacts management to browsers to mobile technology to GPS and much more.
KillerStartUps: KillerStartUps provides reviews of new websites, software, blogs and more. Whereas Kim Komando and MakeUseOf focus on FREE websites, software, etc., KillerStartUps focuses on websites, software, and blogs that may just be the next BIG THING on the internet - whether free or fee based. KillerStartUps reviews 30 new websites per day and publishes brief reviews of 15 websites per day. The community then votes on the websites. You can also search by broad categories. However, the category tags are broad, not always accurate, and frankly not much assistance.
Hopefully, these three websites will satisfy your curiosity and thirst for technology. However, if you can't sleep, need to speak "geek", or have a burning tech question, then try one of these tech and internet marketing blogs:
Interested in discovering how technology can help you sell your home or purchase a new home in St. Louis, Missouri? Contact Ryan Shaughnessy, broker-principal at PREA Signature Realty, by telephone at 314-397-3182 or by e-mail to Ryan@PREASignatureRealty.com.
Looking for homes in Soulard, Lafayette Square, and the historic neighborhoods of the City of St. Louis? Visit our website at www.PREASignatureRealty.com for list of featured properties, virtual tours, buying tips, MLS access, and more.