As a real estate professional, I am often asked how to boost a home's equity. Therefore, I have a list of home improvements that are great for maximizing your home's sale price. Just completing a few simple tasks will help your home sell for top dollar.
· Curb Appeal - This is one of the most important steps to get potential buyers into your home, so don't leave this step out. Fertilize the lawn to give it a lush green look, trim the hedges, plant seasonal flowers, lay some mulch and keep your grass cut. You may also want to consider painting the exterior of the home with neutral colors.
· Paint - Giving the interior of the home a fresh coat of paint in neutral colors will do wonders for maximizing your home's sale. I advise neutral colors because colors that are too bright or too dark tend to turn potential buyers away. Keep in mind, many buyers like to see a house that is ready to move in, not one they will have to prepare themselves before they can move in.
· Lighting - Replace any outdated light fixtures with new ones. This gives the sense that your home is up-to-date. If you're looking for an inexpensive yet creative way to update your lighting fixtures, DIY Network (www.diynetwork.com) has really great advice on how to change these out, spending little to no money. Just remember to keep it simple.
· Flooring - It seems hardwood floors are still the popular thing to add to a home. Hardwood can be found for as little as $1.99 a square foot when it's on sale. Laminate is an alternative to hardwood. It's very durable and less expensive. It also has a very beautiful look. The most popular rooms to lay hardwood are the living room, dining room, kitchen and bedrooms. Ceramic tile looks great in the bathrooms and kitchenette.
· Hardware - Updating your home's hardware is another great way to give your home a more updated look. You can't go wrong with stainless steel. It is still the most popular choice. There are other great looks out there, but why chance it? Some hardware you may want to consider replacing are the faucets in your kitchen and bathrooms and door knobs.
· Kitchen - How outdated is your kitchen? If it is in your budget, you may want to consider remodeling it. Some of the most popular kitchen remodels are granite countertops, ceramic sinks and stainless-steel appliances.
There are so many things you can do to improve the sale price of your home. However, these top my list of the best way to boost your home's equity.