60 Minutes has taken the proverbial stab at REALTORs, especially those that actually provide service to their clients, and it has struck a chord here in the Active Rain community. As you can see, it has generated a lot of discussions lately:
- 60 Minutes Interviewing Redfin (written back in December) by Roberta Murphy who had the foresight to see what an impact this would have.
- 60 Minutes Focusing on Real Estate anticipates the event
- 60 Minutes Segment on Real Estate - This Sunday on CBSdescribes what NAR expected to be aired
- 60 Minutes this Sunday, May 13th - Oh Boy more anticipation
- 60 Minutes Story | View in it's entirety online thanks to Fred Light
- Did you watch 60 Minutes tonight?? Reactions
- 60 Minutes - I have it on do you? Reactions
- 60 Minutes on Redfin Reactions
- 60 Minutes and Redfin Reactions
- 60 Minutes ... To Be or Not To Be Accurate...That is the Question. Reactions
- Central And West Coast Realtors don't miss being trashed on 60 Minutes Reactions
- Redfin, 60 Minutes and a Changing Real Estate Industry Reactions
- Did 60 Minutes Just Violate RESPA Laws? an interesting point made by Stephanie Edwards
- CBS and "60 Minutes" Bash Conventional Realtors Again Reactions
- An Open Letter to Leslie Stahl - 60 Minutes on their Red Fin Report Reactions
EDIT: other related links:
- Send An E-mail to 60 Minutes Today
- 60 Minutes What Everyone Should Know About Real Estate Commissions
Redfin on 60 Minutes - Something to Monitor (a software engineer chimes in on Rain City Guide...)
Antitrust violation -- an interesting question about something posted on Redfin's website.
Andy Rooney is a Sly Old Dog! a slightly different aspect of sunday's broadcast
NAR response: http://www.realtor.org/about_nar/NARRespondsToSixtyMinutes.
and SEE NAR'S NEWS LETTER REGARDING 60 MINUTES (ALL REALTORS PLEASE RESPOND TO CBS WE NEED TO STOP THIS) and Dear Realtors a letter from NAR regarding 60 minutes
Posts defending the full-service commission:
A REALTOR's Worth: What 60 Minutes "forgot" to tell you.
Late 60 minutes 2 bits - God bless Free enterprise!!!
Help Consumers Decide: Full Service or Do-It-Yourself Home Sales
FULL SERVICE BUYERS AGENTS MAKE THINGS HAPPEN - FOR BUYERS AND SELLERS
So, what do you do to justify your high commission?
Particularly Read-Worthy Commentary:
RedSpin simply spun! by Broker Bryant
"Shame on you Redfin" by Laurie Manny
DID REDFIN SHOW UP OR DID THEY CONDUCT THE INTERVIEW FROM THEIR COMPUTER? by Neal Bloom
60 MINUTES - PUBLIC PUFF PIECE BY PURVEYORS OF PUBLICITY FOR THE PERCENTAGE POSSESSEDnice alliteration and quality commentary by Lenn Harley
60 Minutes & The 6-Percent Solution on re:PDX
About the DOJ vs NAR lawsuit that 60 Minutes referred to:
Monopoly my a..! by Broker Bryant
CBS Issues a Partial Retraction
As you can see, this segment has started a lot of discussion. The majority of reactions point out that 60 minutes presented an incomplete picture, misrepresented facts, and lead viewers to make false conclusions. Few comments, if any, praised the segment.
You can also email 60 Minutes and let them know how you feel about the article: send email to email@example.com
EDIT- for those of you wondering why the title of my post apparently mis-spelled the famous quote from Caesar, I took liberties, and used the feminine ending, -ae, instead of the masculine ending, -e. This was intended to obliquely refer to Ms Stahl, and was intentional, not a typographical error. I do appreciate the thought, though, and thanks for trying to point out an error. You all know I hate typos in my posts.
If you have a link to an article I missed, please feel free to add it in a comment, below.