Tomorrow is St. Patrick's Day. It is a national holiday in Ireland. In American and many other places around the world, this day is celebrated even though it is not an official holiday. Green is the color associated with celebrating this holiday: green shamrocks, green clothing, green rivers, green beer (a strictly American invention). Why not celebrate St. Patrick's Day a bit different this year? Instead of wearing or drinking green, why not go "Green". Below are some simple Green" ideas.
- Skip bottled water. Use a water filter to purify tap water. If you need to carry water with you, use a reusable water bottle, preferably aluminum.
- Bring your own mug to the coffee shop and office. Skip the Styrofoam or paper cups.
- Borrow books and movies from libraries instead of buying personal books and movies. This saves money as well as ink and paper that go into printing new books.
- Don't trash reusable materials. Recycle when ever possible.
- Donate and/or recycle electronics such as cell phones and computers. Don't throw these items in the trash. E-waste contains mercury which is a toxin.
- Make and use your own cleaning supplies. Making your own supplies saves money and time as well as improving the indoor quality of your home.
- Pick up after your dog. Make sure you and your neighbors pick up their animal droppings.
- Spread the word about going green. Tell all friends, neighbors, co-workers.
I know I plan on being a bit more "Green" tomorrow and in the future. I hope you will too.