I have a listing that has been on the market for quite some time. We have received lots of showings since January and two offers. The first offer fell through and the second one was one of the strangest offers I have ever seen. To make the oddities easier to read I am going to bullet them...
- The offer was faxed to my office without so much as a phone call to me from the agent (my office called to let me know an offer was in). - don't worry it gets worse
- After a short time, I then got a call from a gentleman (I assumed to be the agent). He informed me that he faxed an offer and wanted to know if I received it. I told him it was at my office and I was going to go by there later to get it. I also asked him if there was any way he might be able email it to me (I work primarily out of my home office) and my client is out of state. Email is much more efficient for me! He obliged.
- I got the offer in my in-box and started to look over it, decent price (a little lower than asking), 500 earnest (a little low), requested 6000 closing cost (not horrible), did not ask for home warranty (which we offered), did not ask for option period, and did not fill in any agent info...other than name and number.
- I then noticed that the name listed under agent was not the gentleman who had called or emailed the offer. - by this time it was after 5
- I tried to call the number on the contract...went to a voice mail (a female from a mortgage company).
- I tried to call the first gentleman back...went to voice mail, same mortgage company.
- I called my client to give them the details, she decided to counter on the asking price but agreed to the closing costs.
- No way to contact any of the parties involved until 8:00 the next morning.
- At 8:00 the next morning, I called the numbers and finally got a hold of the "agent" (the person listed on the offer). He quickly said "Oh, can I call you right back?". I said "sure".
- A few minutes later I got a return call FROM THE MORTGAGE GUY WHO EMAILED THE OFFER...NOT THE "agent".
- I let him know the details of the counter and he said he thought his clients would be okay with that and that they would get back to us asap.
- Over 24 hours later....the mortgage guy called and informed me that his clients had decided to withdraw the offer.
- I did not speak to the "agent" during any of this except for the 7 words he uttered to me in a rush to get off the phone.
I am kind of thinking that this is a blessing...not real sure this was an offer worth messing with! Thankfully we have had 5 showings since and it looks like a possible offer or two coming in (fingers crossed!!!) this week!