As of yesterday, Thursday, there is no more Superferry to connect the islands of Oahu, Maui and Kauai. This is not about the economy or the cost of gas, but rather a legal issue. Apparently, the Environmental Impact Studies that need to be done for any similar project, were not completed for the Superferry.
There have been avid supporters of the Superferry, as there have been avid fighters against the Superferry.
On the "pro" side, the arguments were:
- more options for traveling between islands, for individuals;
- lower costs for traveling between islands, especially for families;
- additional business oportunities for companies based in Hawaii, wanting to expend on other islands.
- a more fun way to travel between islands.
On the "con" side, the arguments were:
- significant environmental impact. There were concerns about protecting marine life but also the possibility of spreading invasive species from one island to another.
- "crime contamination". Crime would travel easier between islands.
- bringing one's own car on the ferry would add to a certain's island polution.
This project was financed by the government and "pushed" by the government. 240 people are unemployed as of yesterday.
For more information on this issue, please check www.mauinews.com
For info on Maui real estate, please check www.westmauihome.com