Subscribe to Answers
I live in Southern California. What's a blizzard?
White Plains, NY
Fort Wayne, IN
Only if you got stuck, then I would have had to rescue you.
Jill Murty, Realtor - ...
Laguna Niguel, CA
I love to work hard. Yes.
Absolutely! Only, that is, if I felt comfortable in my car.
If there was a blizzard in Florida, I would have gone outside and played in the snow, but no appointments.
Absolutely not. I cracked up my car once due to icy roads and no control. That was the last time I drove in bad conditions when I could have postponed.
Probably not. My usual response to heavy storms is to leave the roads free for people who have no choice. First responders, of course, but everybody else who has important jobs to do. There's almost always another day for showing property.
If it's a declared state of emergency, I would not go.
Honestly I do not drive in a blizzard ..I would have canceled the appointment. So the answer is NO
Nope, better safet than sorry and not worth it. If I was selling houses, it doesn't seem like ideal conditions to view home or even get in the door safely and obviously if someone lives there, they won't want to leave.
Buying a house is not an emergency. Totally different is someone is having a baby or gets hurt and needs to go to hospital.
And, why make it harder for them to plow the snow?
No, I wouldn't have gone. I don't leave the house if it's raining.
Heck yeah! We live in Indiana. This stuff happens. I'd double check with the listing agent to make sure the sellers are able to leave, and then I'd check with my buyers as well. If everybody's good, I'm good. Plus I have a Jeep. Driving in this stuff is FUN!
If the showing was going to occur during blizzard like conditions with poor visibility and poor road conditions, the answer is no. It just seems irresponsible.
Great question by the way.
It depends if I felt I caould get there safely. What about the buyer? Their safety is important too.
No way. If there's snow or ice on the ground, I cancel everything and stay home. It's a service to the community. I was raised in Florida and have no idea how to drive safely in that stuff.
Yes, I'd be out there. My area is second home territory and often times if buyers are unable to see a home one weekend, they won't be back for a couple of months. So I don't like to squander any opportunities. Not to mention, it builds trust with the buyers that I'm willing to get the job done no matter the conditions. Maybe the moto of the US Postal Service wore off on me during my brief stint with them: Neither rain, nor sleet, nor snow.....
No. It's recommended to stay off the roads during blizzards. Only emergency vehicles and snowplows should be out.
Well, honestly, no. I did part of my growing up in Minnesota and I vowed to live where the word blizzard is never used. God Bless Texas!
And Evelyn - Please dont go out in another blizzard! You are too precious to us all to do that!
I don't think I would go out in the blizzard itself - Not many buyers will be out grabbing that one dream house - and the sellers generally don't want people coming during the blizzard tracking in snow - or the vacant houses haven't been cleared. Sellers can be consulted with by phone-If they think I have to be there I think they are crazy sellers I would want to skip.
Looking at Boston - the traffic authorities don't want people on the roads in a blizzard.
After the blizzard passes - I used to get into my stick shift Jeep and would go anywhere! i loved that car!
It depends on the urgency of the appointment and my ability to get there. In all likelihood, I'd cancel.
If i coudl safely get there, you bet, if not i would wsit until i could
I would not go out in a blizzard.
Evelyn -- it would have depended on road conditions. I probably would not have put myself or my clients in danger if the roads were really bad. In NYC I did show through snow storms, but we could walk to our showings.
HA, I have a similar question this morning. We have a Relo buyer that came in last night to see a luxury house that just hit the market. That County doesn't have blizzard warnings like ours...
Evelyn Johnston there are different ways one can set up the meetings. Why take this risk? Just my two cents.
Yes...we had a storm in Novemeber and got 18 inches...I showed 4 properties and my buyers bought one of them.