Fire Safety Checklist

By
Real Estate Agent with Realty Executives Leading

Fire Safety Checklist

October is Fire Safety Month in Canada.  Is your home in Spruce Grove, Stony Plain, Parkland County, the Edmonton area or elsewhere as fire-safe as it could be?  Use this handy checklist to find out.  (For REALTORS® this makes a handy addition to a newsletter, or a handout to clients who are buying or selling a home.)

 
Smoke Alarms, Carbon Monoxide Detectors, Fire Extinguishers, Escape Plan

___   We have at least one smoke alarm newer than 10 years old on every floor.  (Ideally, also an alarm in or near every sleeping area, near the family room and kitchen, at the top of each stairway, in the garage, wired in with battery backup.)

___   Carbon monoxide detectors newer than 7 years old are located in the same areas as smoke alarms, with an additional one near the furnace.

___   Batteries in smoke alarms and carbon monoxide detectors are changed twice a year.

___   We test the alarms every 3 months.

___   We have emergency flashlights with fresh batteries in every bedroom and the kitchen.

___   There are fire extinguishers in the kitchen, garage, basement, and near each fire source (fireplace, wood-burning stove).  These are checked or inspected on a regular basis, and someone in the home knows how to use them.  (One in each vehicle is a good idea too.)

___   We avoid accumulating clutter, especially combustible waste.  Items of this type are never stored near a heat source or near the furnace or hot water heater, and we ensure that we have clear paths to all exits.

___   As a family, we regularly practice our escape.  All family members know what to do in case of fire or other emergency.

 

Fire and Heat Sources

___   Our wood-burning fireplace/stove is properly ventilated and there is adequate fresh air intake.

___   Our fireplace has a screen to prevent sparks, and we dispose of ashes in metal containers.

___   Our wood-burning fireplaces/stoves and their chimneys are cleaned and inspected every year.

___   Space heaters are kept at least 3 feet from flammable/combustible items, and they are placed where they cannot be knocked over.

___   Heat sources of any kind, including the kitchen stove, are never left unattended when in use.

___   We make sure things that can burn, such as dishtowels, paper or plastic bags, curtains and loose fitting clothing, are at least 3 feet away from the range top when we are cooking.

___   Our barbecue grill is at least 3 feet away from the house and any combustibles when in use.

 

Flammables

___   Flammables are stored in original, marked containers away from sources of heat or flame.

___   If we must store gasoline and similar fuels at home, we do so in special safety containers, and never in the house.

___   We store matches and lighters in a locked cabinet or similar secure location out of reach of children.

___   We do not allow smoking in our home.  But, if we did, there would be deep wide ashtrays available; lit cigarettes would never be left unattended; ashtrays and furniture would always be checked before we leave the house or go to bed; smoking is never done in bed.

___   Candles are used only by adults, out of reach of children and pets, placed in sturdy and stable holders made of glass or metal well away from flammable items, and never left unattended.

___   The lint trap on our clothes dryer is cleaned after every load of laundry, and dryer ductwork is cleaned and inspected every year.

 

Electrical

___   Kitchen appliances, such as the kettle, coffee-maker, toaster oven and microwave, are plugged into separate outlets.

___   There are no frayed or cracked cords or exposed wiring in our home.

___   There are no outlets or switches that are unusually warm to touch.

___   All outlets and switches have cover plates so that no wiring is exposed.

___   No outlet has a smudge mark indicating that an electrical short has occurred around the socket where plugs are inserted.

___   Light bulbs are the appropriate size and type for the lamp or fixture.

___   No extension cord carries more than its proper load, as indicated by the rating labeled on the cord and appliance.  Cords are never run under rugs or hooked over nails, and are not used as a permanent solution.

___   We keep “air space” around electronic items such as TVs, stereos, computers, etc.

___   We replace any electrical tool or appliance if it causes electrical shocks, overheats, shorts out, or gives off smoke or sparks.

___   We keep electrical appliances away from wet floors and counters, and we take special care with electrical appliances in the bathroom and kitchen.

Posted by

 

Barry Twynam, REALTOR®

Realty Executives Leading

www.barryt.ca

Cell:     780-910-9669

Office:  780-962-9696
Fax:     780-962-9699

 Spruce Grove and Area Real Estate with Barry Twynam on Facebook     Barry Twynam on LinkedIn

close

This entry hasn't been re-blogged:

Re-Blogged By Re-Blogged At
Topic:
Home Improvement
Groups:
Dedicated Bloggers
Addicted to Active Rain
Feather Nesters
Tags:
home safety
home security
fire safety
safety tips

Post a Comment
Spam prevention
Spam prevention
Show All Comments
Rainmaker
510,837
Daniel J. Brudnok, REALTOR
Berkshire Hathaway Home Services Fox & Roach, REALTORS - Exton - PA License #RS-225179-L / Delaware License #RS-0025038 - Downingtown, PA
SRES, e-PRO,ABR,GREEN,CSP

Hi Barry,

Spring forward OR Fall back......time to replace the smoke alarm batteries......and so much more, nice reminder.

Oct 02, 2012 06:29 AM #1
Rainmaker
1,204,869
Tony & Darcy Cannon
Aubrey and Associates Realty - Layton, UT
The C Team

Barry, This is a great checklist!  I think that it would be wise to send something like this out to your sphere of influence! 

Oct 02, 2012 11:35 AM #2
Rainer
163,839
Barry Twynam
Realty Executives Leading - Spruce Grove, AB

Thanks, Dan and Tony.  I appreciate the feedback!

Oct 03, 2012 05:32 AM #3
Ambassador
1,245,419
Kristin Hamilton CA Realtor
Sun Lakes Realty - Banning, CA
(909) 557-6966- Specialize 55+ Communties Banning

Hi Barry,

This is a great and very thorough list. Fire Safety is nothing to ignore and I am so glad they made Carbon Monoxide alarms mandatory in homes in CA and othter states including Canada. It will do a lot to save lives. I do not think many people realized that you could get CM poisoning from heaters, water heaters and stoves as all I ever heard was we must make sure the door from the garage was a solid core door with a self closer on it. I was surprised to hear that many poisonings are due to faulty appliances INSIDE the house.

Oct 07, 2012 05:29 AM #4
Post a Comment
Spam prevention
Show All Comments

What's the reason you're reporting this blog entry?

Are you sure you want to report this blog entry as spam?

Rainer
163,839

Barry Twynam

Ask me a question
*
*
*
*
Spam prevention