Brazing is known to be one of the metal joining processes where the base metal isn’t melted but the filler metal is targeted to obtain the metal joint. The filler metal is conditioned to a temperature above its fusion temperature; the molten filler metal is then spread into the joint with the application of capillary action. Upon cooling, the molten filler metal solidifies and subsequently joins the work pieces together. While you may be seeking products or services from your aluminum brazing product manufactures, looking up to the advantages and disadvantages of the same would be suitable.
Brazing – Yes or No?
There would be several important factors to consider before you actually make any decisions regarding dip brazing for your projects. The alloy or materials that are being used for the project should be able to meet or exceed temperature requirements that may prevail for the processes. In addition to this, fixtures should be suggestively left off before brazing as they may have undesirable effects on the efficiency of the process.
If temperature of brazing bath is higher than the tolerance of the material then it would end up being warped and damaged. If the temperature of the bath is however too excessive, it may get impossible to successfully bond the filler materials to your assembly. The temperature of the process and tolerance of the material you’re using could be a major indicator of success or failure.
If corrosion is a considerable risk to the long-term success of your assembly, then dip brazing could be perfect for removing any prevailing traces of salt. Following the brazing bath, the technicians would be performing a thorough cleaning and visual inspection for the same. This would be considerable to make sure that oxidization does not take place at any point during the process. Any joints that are created using this process will be stronger than even the base metal.
Advantages of Brazing
Apart from the advantages and disadvantages of welding, there could be various benefits that brazing creates over any other techniques of metal joining. The considerable advantages of brazing are the ones listed below:
- Brazing could be used for bonding or joining a variety of metals, these could be metals that are dissimilar or in fact non-metals (for example: metalized ceramics).
- Component tolerances are maintained better in brazing than that in welding. During brazing, the base metal isn’t melted. This helps in maintaining even stricter control on component tolerances.
- Brazing could be effective for producing clean joints. Brazing joints that are obtained require very less or no finishing at all. Since it does not require an additional secondary operation it could turn out to be profitable.
- This method could help in achieving joints that are corrosion resistant.
- The metallurgical characteristics of brazing are preserved during brazing because the processes are carried on under low temperature.
- There is no spark or arc created while brazing. During the brazing process, the uniform heating of a welding part could be a great support for minimizing the said thermal distortion.
- Welding may not be appropriate for joining thin pipes or sheets. However, this could be done perfectly with the help of brazing.
- Brazing provides relatively excellent sealing than any other bonding techniques that may include bolt fastening, spot welding, riveting.
- For the purposes of bulk production, brazing processes could be automated very easily.
Above any other benefits, the major advantage of brazing is that it would be perfect to join aluminum with itself. The heat evolved during normal welding processes or even spot welding could cause warp and distortion for aluminum. A stronger bond could be created among components by submerging pieces that need to be assembled into a metallic bath. It allows you with greater freedom for designs and let you complete projects at costs that are lower than usual. If thin gauge aluminum is involved in your projects then there would be no betters way to accomplish these but brazing.
It also removes the possibility for any residual flux along with fissures or cracks. This does a perfect job for eradicating the probability for corrosion and makes a difference in the entire project that is executed.
As per aluminum brazing product manufacturers, brazing is the best method to take care of cleanliness unlike any other metal joining techniques.