This week I found out someone in my world committed suicide over the holiday. I wasn't close to this person, but I was truly saddened by their actions. This person left behind loved ones who will have to deal with many unanswered questions and years of mixed feelings from sadness to anger. I've been fortunate not to lose someone close to me to this action, but I know how it feels to lose someone you love.
At the risk of being too transparent, I will share with the world that I've been suicidal in my past when I was much younger. Thank god for my supportive family and friends who helped me crawl out the pit of darkness.
Ever since, I heard this news, I've been bothered by it. Probably because I've gone through the process and know you can come out of it with help. So, here's my attempt and helping:
If you feel suicidal:
- Please, please, please talk to your family and/or friends.
- Call the suicide hotline in your area
- Call 911 if you have to
- Talk to a counselor
- Google suicide and go to one of the websites. Read the survivor's stories.
- Go to www.suicide.org
- Go for a run, jog walk, bike ride, etc. anything to get your heart rate going and your endorphines to kick in.
If you suspect someone you know is contemplating suicide:
- Please talk to them asap. Share your love!
- Get them to a counselor
- Set up a watch group that checks in
- Take them outside for a walk, run, bike ride etc. Anything physical.
- Tell all of their friends and family what you suspect. Don't be embarassed about being wrong. You might save a life!
I can go on for a while on this, but I have to get back to work. If anyone has anything to add, please share and pass it this on. Life is a precious gift.