Earth Day is turning 40 this year. To celebrate, many businesses are offering consumers free stuff, chances to win valuable prizes, and some good deals.
Here's a sampling of Earth Day freebies:
- Gain free admission into all 392 U.S. national parks now through Sunday, April 25.
- Trade in six plastic bottles or soda cans for a free hat made from recycled bottles at the Disney Store on April 22.
- Babies R Us will give you a free reusable tote bag if you bring a valid coupon (PDF) into its stores through April 22. Plus, you'll get a 25% discount off all the clothing and shoes you can fit into the bag.
- Evos is giving away free organic milkshakes served in biodegradable cups on Earth Day. The healthy fast-food chain has locations in California, Florida, Georgia, and North Carolina.
- Origins is offering a trade-in program on Earth Day only. Bring one of your current skin-care product bottles -- empty or full, from any brand -- to an Origins counter and receive a free full-size cleanser. Choose from Checks and Balances Frothy face wash or Perfect World antioxidant cleanser with white tea.
- Get a chance to win a $20,000 green home makeover by registering on the Purex website by April 30.
- Enter a sweepstakes to win 1 of 10 smart fortwo vehicles by making a pledge to help protect the environment on Safeway's website through April 27.
- Sign up for the Drive Home Green sweepstakes on Target's website through the end of the month. The grand prize is a 2010 Ford Fusion Hybrid. You could also win bicycles, electric scooters, a national park trip, and other prizes.
- Add a green pledge to the Sierra Club's Earth Day map for a chance to win a trip for two to Hawaii.
There are also plenty of opportunities for Earth Day discounts. Here are few:
- Travelocity is offering up to 40% off prices at 40 green hotels across the globe.
- Travelzoo is giving discounts on U.S.-based, LEED-certified hotels.
- Walgreens will refill your printer cartridge for $1 instead of its usual $12 on April 22 only. It's also offering a 22 percent discount on its green products through April 30.
- Amazon is offering up to 34% off some of its Earth Day reads.
- Drugstore.com is offering up to 40% off products from its "green and natural" store through April 23.
- Numi Organic Teas is giving a 20% discount on April 22 -- just enter Eday40 at checkout.