Five Ways To Keep Your Moving Costs Low
Choosing the mover that gives you the lowest price usually isn't the smartest move to make (no pun intended) because with moving companies you do get what you pay for.
But, that doesn't mean you shouldn't try to keep your moving costs low.
Here are five great things that you can do to keep your moving costs low and your moving company happy:
1. Consider selling furniture or other items that you don't need or use. You will end up with more money in your pocket and a much quicker move, especially important because in one way or another movers do charge by time spent and by the size and weight of what they are moving.
2. Choose an economical way for you to get to your new home. Some families decide to drive to their new home, turning their move into a mini-vacation. Other couples decide to drive all the way through to their new place, saving money on expensive hotel rooms and restaurant dining.
3. If you do decide to drive, be sure to have an inspection done on your car before you leave. This way you can catch any potential repair items and have them done by your local mechanic that you know and trust, instead of being at the mercy of a car repair service in the middle of no where.
4. Save money on moving boxes by getting the word out to your friends, family and neighbors that you will be moving and are looking for boxes. You can also contact local retail stores to see if they might save their un-used boxes for you.
5. Condense or compress as much as possible. Large 'space saver' or vacuum sealed bags are a great way to get a lot more clothing into fewer boxes, meaning fewer things to load and unload.