“The housing market continues to steadily gain momentum with rising homebuyer demand and increased construction due to the strong job market, ebullient market sentiment and low mortgage rates,” said Sam Khater, Freddie Mac’s Chief Economist. “Residential real estate accounts for one-sixth of the economy, and the improving real estate market will support economic growth heading into next year.”
- 30-year fixed-rate mortgage averaged 3.66 percent with an average 0.6 point for the week ending November 21, 2019, down from last week when it averaged 3.75 percent. A year ago at this time, the 30-year FRM averaged 4.81 percent.
- 15-year fixed-rate mortgage averaged 3.15 percent with an average 0.5 point, down from last week when it averaged 3.20 percent. A year ago at this time, the 15-year FRM averaged 4.24 percent.
- 5-year Treasury-indexed hybrid adjustable-rate mortgage (ARM) averaged 3.39 percent with an average 0.4 point, down from last week when it averaged 3.44 percent. A year ago at this time, the 5-year ARM averaged 4.09 percent.
Average commitment rates should be reported along with average fees and points to reflect the total upfront cost of obtaining the mortgage. Visit the following link for the Definitions. Borrowers may still pay closing costs which are not included in the survey.
Freddie Mac makes home possible for millions of families and individuals by providing mortgage capital to lenders. Since our creation by Congress in 1970, we’ve made housing more accessible and affordable for homebuyers and renters in communities nationwide. We are building a better housing finance system for homebuyers, renters, lenders, investors and taxpayers. Learn more at FreddieMac.com, Twitter @FreddieMac and Freddie Mac’s blog FreddieMac.com/blog.
- Existing Home Sales are currently at an annual pace of 5.46 million.
- The inventory of existing homes for sale remains below the 6 months needed for a normal market and is now at a 3.9-month supply.
- Inventory remains low due to high demand from buyers who are still looking for a house to buy!