School Bus Safety
Summer is almost over and the school year will be starting soon. In Rockland County NY we're lucky to have universal bus-sing for our school children. That means that every school age child is entitled to be bussed to school irrespective of where they live in proximity to the school. The buses will be out there in full force and we're all concerned for the safety of our kids who will be out there walking to their bus stops or waiting for them to come.
Bus Safety Rules:
- Arrive at your bus stop at least five minutes before the bus is due and wait for the bus well off the roadway.
- Enter the bus in single file and in an orderly manner. No pushing.
- Sit down promptly and fasten your seat belt and remain in your seat while on the bus.
- Keep aisles clear at all times.
- Remain quiet and orderly. No yelling or fighting.
- Be courteous to your driver and fellow passengers.
- No eating, drinking or smoking on the bus.
- Do not open windows without permission.
- When leaving the bus, if you must cross, always cross in front of the bus. Always wait for the driver's signal to cross.
- Backpacks, coats, jackets and sweaters should be worn instead of carried when exiting the bus.
To ensure the safety of our children, lets make sure to watch out for them near school buildings and near bus stops. Remember too that when the red lights on buses are flashing, to STOP. It's the law!