Watching an episode of the TV show Property Brothers, and this one had me practically yelling at the TV. "Home sellers, please listen to the experts you hired!"
There was this couple who wanted to move up to a bigger and better home, and consulted with twins Jonathan and Drew Scott on what they needed to do to get their house sold at the price they want, and where they can find a replacement home on their budget.
When the realtor brother told them what the house is worth at its present condition, the sellers put up all kinds of objections.
"This house is in a better location than ..."
"It's a much bigger lot..."
"Kitchen was just remodeled..."
"I think it looks fine the way it is.."
"Red mulch is ugly..."
"I can't believe you'd think it's worth only that much..."
All I could think of is: do you want to sell your house and get the best price for it? Then LISTEN to your REALTOR!
The Realtor twin and his remodeler/stager twin showed the sellers what they need to do...and they also made sure the sellers participated in doing certain jobs since they had only $12,000 (!) to make a difference in how the house looks. I realize this is a TV show and there must be some drama involved to make it interesting. But at nearly every turn, the sellers put up a resistance, or they worked half-heartedly.
Here's what I would like viewers and prospective sellers to understand:
- Realtors have seen all kinds of homes --- from the nasty, filthy, fixer-uppers to the staged-to-the-hilt luxury homes.
- They know what features sell, and what features are huge hindrances and obstacles
- They know what it will take to prepare a home for sale
- They know who and where to get resources to get the job done
- They are knowledgeable when placing a value on your home improvements which are literally investments that promise a good return
So when the REALTORS you hired are consulting with you, please LISTEN! They are the subject matter experts. Take the suggestions to heart. They want to do the best they can do to make your home sparkle. They want you to win. Because when you win, they win.