Do you have any foreclosed properties for sale that needs some minor repairs? Do you have buyers looking at foreclosures that needs repairs but don't have any money for the repairs? Well, the FHA 203(K) Streamlined can help. Please don't confuse this program with the regular FHA 203(K) program. The Streamlined programs will allow the borrower(s) to increase the mortgage by up to $35,000.00 for repair or rehab costs. There is no minimum repair cost threshold anymore. This program is available for refinances as well.
The Streamlined (k) program is intended to facilitate uncomplicated rehabilitation and/or improvements to a home for which plans, consultants, engineers and/or architects are not required. The Streamlined (k) program includes the discretionary improvements and/or repairs shown below:
- Repair/Replacement of roofs, gutters and downspouts
- Repair/Replacement/upgrade of existing HVAC systems
- Repair/Replacement/upgrade of plumbing and electrical systems
- Repair/Replacement of flooring
- Minor remodeling, such as kitchens, which does not involve structural repairs
- Painting, both exterior and interior
- Weatherization, including storm windows and doors, insulation, weather stripping, etc.
- Purchase and installation of appliances, including free-standing ranges, refrigerators,
- washers/dryers, dishwashers and microwave ovens
- Accessibility improvements for persons with disabilities
- Lead-based paint stabilization or abatement of lead-based paint hazards
- Repair/replace/add exterior decks, patios, porches
- Basement finishing and remodeling, which does not involve structural repairs
- Basement waterproofing
- Window and door replacements and exterior wall re-siding
- Septic system and/or well repair or replacement
Like the regular Section 203(k) program, Streamlined (k) may be used for single-family housing sold by HUD. REO properties that have been designated by FHA's Management and Marketing contractor (M&M) as "insurable" with repair escrow ($5,000 or less in required repairs) or "uninsurable" (with more than $5,000 but no more than $35,000 in required repairs) are eligible for the Streamlined (k) program provided that the repairs qualify as eligible work items outlined above.