I am a Realtor in Santa Clarita, California. Our community has been established from the 1960's with home owner associations at it's core. Our community continues to grow due to our location, safety record, cleanliness and incredible school system. Six Flags Magic Mountain was built in Valencia, California a part of the Santa Clarita Valley in order to promote new homes being built in the 1970's.
These new homes had low cost, high amenity Home Owner Associations. The Valencia area is one of only 3 preplanned communities in Southern California. The idea was to bring the community together and also set a standard in which all homes would be maintained and all neighbors to have rules that would prevent hostilities.
This has worked out well as our community has continued to grow and add annual events. People walk in their neighborhoods and disputes are kept to a minimum.
A concern of many unfamiliar with the benefits of a Home owner Association is that they need to pay and extra monthly fee, the cost will escalate and the association will dictate how they will have to live.
The benefits far exceed any of negative affect. Following are the benefits of having the C C & R Rules of a Home Owners Association:
- No Auto Shop on the from lawn or driveway.
- No homes with dieing grass or overgrown lawn.
- No having a RV Park in front of a home with another family living in it.
- No having a home painted pink or purple or another color that doesn't match with the neighborhood.
- No having a home left unpainted or in disrepair for any length of time.
- No having Semi Trucks, Motor Homes or RV for any extended lenghth of time.
- Many associations will have a security guard patrol the neighborhood.
- It is a good idea to have a neutral third party handle disputes rather than having a confrontation.
- Most Homes with a Home Owner Associations offer many amenities such as pools, spas, tennis courts, parks, basketball courts and in Valencia we have the Paseo, a walking trail through the communities.
- Many Homes with an association have swim teams that will compete with other associations.
- Socially belonging to the association brings neighbors together, the kids grow up and go to school together, people know and communicate with their neighbors.
- All of these and other benefits protect and promote the value of the home. Homes in a Home Owners Association will most often be much better kept and hold a higher resale value.
Even those that don't take advantage of the association's amenities benefit from these benefits with a more desirable home and location. The higher resale value in the end make this a great investment!
Your Friend & Realtor,