Our 21 year old will be moving back home to finish up her last year of college...and our 17 yr old is counting the days til he's 18 and out of Highschool and is free to "leave" as he puts it. As I'm prompting him for why he's so anxious to depart what I feel is a loving family, he promptly shares that we have rules that he doesn't want to follow. As I dig I find out those rules have more to do with our foundational belief in God and our attempt to uphold boundaries and consequences accordingly.
As our discussion amongst the three of us ensued in the jacuzzi I mentioned that even though he turns 18 if he's still living under our roof there will still be guidelines. We all agreed it would be a great idea to document those guidelines, #1 so were all operating with the same understanding.
So, I'm welcoming input from all and treasure those who have perhaps experienced this and you can let us learn from your experiences!
Here's our start so far:
1. There are rules and boundaries when living under our roof and will be consequences if not followed.
2. When you walk in our door there's the verse, Joshua 24:15 "...as for me and my house we will serve The Lord." ...read the sign when you walk in and if you don't choose to uphold that, walk out. (Courtesy of my husband who keeps things simple!)
3. Even if our belief/value system isn't the same, we will respect and honor each others.
4. You need to be engaged in something that furthers your ability to survive on your own; college, schooling, working, volunteering, etc.
5. You will contribute to the household either financially or in household chores/upkeep.
6. Uphold the law. If illegal then also not allowed at home. Drugs, never legal. Alcohol, illegal til 21. At 21 will have to have discuss further.
7. You're in charge of your whereabouts but we need to be told if you're not coming home, or if leaving house at odark thirty share why/where.
8. When having friends over, if opposite sex then they need to leave house at reasonable time, 11pm. (Understanding exceptions will be made for different situations requested in advance)
9. Clean up after yourself after having friends over.
10. Drive responsibly and follow law. If not, no longer will you have the luxury of a car.
11. If working full time you pay for cell phone. If in school we pay but any over and above plan charges you pay.
12. Know that these guidelines are established in our family because WE LOVE YOU and want to position you to be responsible.
Please help contribute!