National Dog Day: August 26th
It's National Dog Day today! Are you a dog parent to one or more dogs? Then it's your day to go out and celebrate with your dog(s) and show appreciation for their unconditional love and loyalty. It's a great day to do something really special with your dog(s)... or for dogs, in general, if you're not a dog parent, but a lover of dogs.
1. Adopt a dog from your local shelter or pure breed rescue organization.
2. Have a safety check of your home to make sure it's safe for your dog and others.
3. Donate blankets, food and toys to animal welfare organizations.
4. Organize a peaceful demonstration in front of your community pet store that sells puppies.
5. Write your Congressman and ask that he/she support the ban of Puppy Mills and Gas Chambers in your state.
6. Order an adorable dog shaped flower arrangement from 1-800-Flowers.com.
7. Have a National Dog Day party and invite all your friends and their dogs!
8. Spend the day taking photos of your dog and then enter our photo contest!
9. Volunteer at your local shelter and offer to walk a dog or play with a dog, clean cages or anything else they need help with.
10. Assist an ill or elderly neighbor by walking their dog.
11. Have a portrait painted of your dog to suspend the fleeting magic of dogdom.
12. Buy your dog a fun new dog toy....or two...or five.
13. Give your dog some fun exercise by taking him or her to a doggy play resort.
15. Brush your dog to eliminate excess fur.
16. Give your dog a massage or holistic spa treatment.
17. Teach your dog a new trick.
18. Buy your dog a fashionable collar and leash.
19. Hire a professional pet photographer for a fun photo shoot.
20. Take your dog to the beach.
WHERE TO ADOPT A DOG IN CHARLOTTE, NORTH CAROLINA METRO AREA ON NATIONAL DOG DAY:
HUMANE SOCIETY OF YORK COUNTY
8177 Regent Parkway Fort Mill, SC 29715
Shelter Adoption Hours:
Tuesday through Sunday, 1:00 PM – 4:00 PM
(Closed on Mondays)
CAROLINA P.A.W.S. (PET ADOPTTION & WELFARE SOCIETY)
P.O. Box 365, Waxhaw, NC 28173
HUMANE SOCIETY OF CHARLOTTE
2700 Toomey Avenue, Charlotte, NC 28203
Shelter Open:Monday – Sunday, 11:00am – 5:00pm
IRONSTONE LANE RESCUE & STABLES
127 Ironstone Lane Troutman, NC 28166
These are but four places where you can adopt a dog in the Charlotte metro area. Charlotte has numerous rescue societies and shelters, including Greater Charlotte SPCA, Furever Angels Animal Rescue, Precious Paws Rescue.
Dog Quotes "To Live By:"
"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than he loves himself." — Josh Billings
"Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole." — Roger Caras
"A dog will teach you unconditional love." -- Robert Wagner
"I think dogs are the most amazing creatures; they give unconditional love. For me, they are the role model for being alive." — Gilda Radner
"No one appreciates the very special genius of your conversation a the dog does." --Christopher Morley
Happy National Dog Day!
This National Dog Day information is provided by Nina Hollander and Carolinas Realty Partners, Coldwell Banker, your Charlotte metro area pet parents and pet-friendly residential real estate experts.
If you're considering selling or purchasing a home in the Charlotte metro area, I'd love an opportunity to earn your business, exceed your expectations, and to prove to you that:
National Dog Day Featured Image credited to Phoenix Children's Museum