2019 Middletown, CT South Fire District Fire Prevention Open House Oct 5, this Saturday from 10:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. The theme this year for Fire Prevention Week is "Plan, Practice, Escape!".
A fire not only destroys homes, but is also devastating emotionally for the whole family. Having an escape plan, and practicing it regularly with the family is highly suggested, and could be the difference between saving lives or not. In order to have an effective escape plan, homeowners also need to have an early detection system like Smoke Detectors. Smoke Detectors are also a great way to catch a fire early, and save the lives of those in the home. Below are some facts about Smoke Alarms you may not be aware of:
- Three out of five home fire deaths are in homes without working Smoke Alarms..
- A family has as little as 3 minutes to get out of a house before a fire becomes deadly.
- The death rate from a fire is twice as high in homes without Smoke Alarms as in homes with them.
- 47% of the reported fires in homes with Smoke Alarms, the Smoke Alarms had missing or disconnected batteries and 24% had dead batteries.
At the South Fire District Open House, there will also be:
- Car Seat Clinic
- Vision Screening
- Amber Alert Child ID Registration
- Hay Rides
- Flu Shots
- Sand Art
Fire Prevention Week is a national event, so check for the location of the Fire House in your community that will be having an Open House this year. But if you are in Middletown, Ct take part this Saturday at the 2019 Middletown, CT South Fire District Fire Prevention Open House from 10:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m.