Down but not out...

By
Real Estate Agent with Benchmark Realty

I have only been in Real Estate here in Cool Springs Tennessee for a little more than a year now and some would say that I stepped into it during the worst possible time. I have not had the time to establish myself before the market turned sour. I haven't had the 15 years of experience needed to weather this storm. I DISAGREE!!

I cannot say that I am thriving right this minute. I HAVE had some promising months in the past that just simply fell through "due to the economy". On the flip side, NOW is the time to build a business and I'll tell you why. We all know that it does not take much to get your Real Estate license. This is something that can be done in about two weeks and you are licensed and ready to sell. Generally with something that attainable, people tend to jump right into it when they hear the money is great. I wish I had numbers but I doubt that there are that many people sitting through Real Estate classes right now, especially compared to a few years ago. We have a saying in our office (not limited to just our office I am sure) that reads "90% of Realtors have 10% of the market while the other 10% of Realtors have the remaining 90% of the market". 

What am I getting at? Well, NOW IS THE TIME TO BUILD YOUR BUSINESS! The same people that jumped into the business so quickly are going to be the same people that cannot weather the storm. Now is the time to build your contact list. Now is the time to network. Once the economy goes back up YOU and I will be the ones getting the listings and the buyers. Does it sound like I am preaching?? I am DOWN in the current market BUT NOT OUT...

Sstrickhausen

Stephen Strickhausen

Sstrickhausen@gmail.com

www.Sstrickhausen.com

close

This entry hasn't been re-blogged:

Re-Blogged By Re-Blogged At
Topic:
ActiveRain Community
Location:
Tennessee Williamson County
Groups:
Active Rain Newbies
Almost Anything Goes
Tags:
keller williams realty
current market
blog
real estate
stephen strickhausen
cool springs tn

Post a Comment
Spam prevention
Spam prevention
Show All Comments
Rainmaker
1,402,493
Vickie Nagy
Coldwell Banker Residential Real Estate - Palm Springs, CA
Vickie Jean the Palm Springs Condo Queen

You're right. This is an excellent time to build our business and our points of contact. Thanks for the excellent post.

Nov 07, 2008 02:59 AM #1
Rainer
4,947
Jon May
East West Realty at Eagle harbor - Carrollton, VA

Hey Stephen,

Good for you.  Great attitude.  I started my career during the savings and loan scandal and made a living and passed vetren agents asking me why I was working so hard when the market was down. (the fact of the matter that I had my first baby on the way and had to feed my family.  That baby is now 15)

Check out my post on orphaned owners.  it put a lot of money in my pocket and is  a market that not too many agents work.

Nov 07, 2008 03:03 AM #2
Rainmaker
429,239
Betina Foreman
WJK Realty - Austin, TX
Realtor, C.N.E., with WJK REALTY

I have seen many people in my office leave the business. I feel it is because while its easy to get your license, its hard to get the business and stay motivated. I wish you the best of luck in your new career! Remember its not always like this. This business is very cyclical, it will come back around. Hang in there!

Nov 07, 2008 03:03 AM #3
Rainer
336,160
Chip Jefferson
Gibbs Realty and Auction Company - Columbia, SC

Use alternative things to supplement your income if you have too. But do hang on. It will get better and then you can enjoy the rewards.

Nov 07, 2008 03:09 AM #4
Rainmaker
671,844
Jim & Maria Hart
Brand Name Real Estate - Charleston, SC
Charleston, SC Real Estate

Hey, Stephen. I think this is a great time to build on our education and our networking; that way when the market picks up we will be ready to run. I can honestly say that this market teaches us all how to be creative. There are many positives out there if we look hard enough and it sounds like you are. All my best, Jim

Nov 07, 2008 03:11 AM #5
Rainer
3,691
Geneie McIntosh
Equity Utah Realty - Midway, UT

I HAVE ONLY BEEN IN MY NEW AREA FOR A YEAR NOW, BUT I HAVE BEEN IN REAL ESTATE FOR OVER 5 YEARS. THINGS HAVE SLOWED DOWN FOR EVERYONE . IN THIS AREA EVERYONE AND THEIR MOTHER WAS A REAL ESTATE AGENT, BUT THIS HAS WEEDED OUT ALOT OF AGENTS. BUT I HAVE NOT GIVEN UP EITHER, JUST CHANGED MY STRATEGIES. I AM DOING OTHER THINGS TO HELP BUILD MY SPEER OF INFULENCE AND TO BRING IN EXTRA INCOME TO KEEP ME GOING. I WILL SURVIVE!

Nov 07, 2008 03:26 AM #6
Anonymous
Ryan Rafoth

Stephen

Your site looks great.  Keep up the good work.

Nov 17, 2008 12:14 PM #7
Post a Comment
Spam prevention
Show All Comments

What's the reason you're reporting this blog entry?

Are you sure you want to report this blog entry as spam?

Rainmaker
107,338

The 1410 Group of Benchmark Realty, LLC

Ask me a question
*
*
*
*
Spam prevention