A home should have , at least, a 100 amp service. Any homes that have 60 amp or less should be updated.
But if the oppertunity arises, the wise choice is to have 200 amp electrical service installed.
That will be sufficient to handle the present day needs of our electronics driven society.
Commonthings i have found lately whilst inspecting the electrical system:
* No AFCI protection for bedrooms ( arc fault Circuit Interupters- help prevent shorts)
* Painted over GFCI RECEPTACLES that no longer work.
* loose in wall receptacles- often results in a bad grounding receptacle.
* miswired receptacles ( hot and neutral is reversed, ground and neutral is reversed etc.)
* missing knockouts in distribution panel and junctionboxes
* exposed wires, often live.
this is just a short list, theres often more wackyness.