Within the first week of Pokemon Go being released, it was downloaded over 15 million times. It is a HUGE success out of the gate. This was only in the first week. Today there are over 26 million daily users of Pokemon Go in the United States.
Pokemon Go is quickly becoming the most successful mobile app of all time. Hats off to Nintendo!
Over 60% of all the people who download the app- use the app! How is that even possible! I don't think I have ever seen such a percentage of users for an app, ever!
This means that 3% of the population in the United States is playing Pokemon Go and this is only the beginning.
That also means that Pokemon Go in just a little over a week was well on surpassing Twitter for active users and today it has left Twitter in the dust. Pokemon Go passed up Google Maps!
In the United States Pokemon Go hit the top of the charts in just 13 hours. The game was only available in the United States, Australia, and New Zealand during those stats.. The rest of the world couldn't wait! In fact, people in other countries were figuring out hacks to get the app before it became available in their app stores. But now Pokemon Go is available in 26 countries.
To put this into perspective think on this:
The top mobile app games are Clash Royal and Slitherio. Each of these apps had 1.67% and .84% daily user levels after 4 days of launching those games.
But Pokemon Go hit 10.8% user levels in 4 days just in the United States. This is such a phenomenon and no one expected it coming.
In fact, the developers did not expect this much success as is proven by the bugs and server crashes that happen when an app gets crazy usage in such a fast amount of time.
This is mind blowing.
I don't play online games but my kids and grandkids do. I pay attention to the gaming business because it is a great market to study and follow. It helps us to understand the future of education, entertainment and marketing.
Now, this is even more amazing. All these game apps start off free. They get you all hooked into playing before they monetize. Rarely do apps monetize right way. But Pokemon Go did and it was widely successful at bringing in $2 Million a day just in the United States market. Those were last week's stats! This is beyond mind boggling.
Pokemon Go is more than a game, it is a culture phenomenon. Think Star Wars in 1977 to put this into perspective.
Besides admiring the genius behind this game app, it is interesting to also point out that people of all ages play this game. The adults who grew up trading Pokemon cards, the kids today and even our past clients who are baby boomers are playing. They play because they get to go around visiting all the landmarks. It gets you up out of your chair and outside.
This is augmented reality which is different than products like Google Glasses which is virtual reality.
Augmented reality combines the on screen world with the real world, working with geo caching and real landmarks along with the gathering of people to encourage Pokemons to appear with higher value and power.
The owner of a pizzaria in New York- L'inizo Pizza Bar- decided to spend $10 to create some Pokemon lures at his store. His business increased by 75% in one week! Of course a lot of people are not buying pizza and just want to find Pokemon but he has not only increased his sales for Pizza, because he makes a homemade quality pizza, these became returning customers already. This of course, the smart business man that Tom Lattanzio is, started the media blitz campaign; press releases, T.V. show appearances, etc. All from a $10 lure spend.
Think outside of the box for ways that you can capitalize on Pokemon Go. If you own a real estate office in a commercial area, think about adding some lures to your company.
- Check to see if your business a PokeStop or close to a PokeStop. If it is, take advantage of your location.
- The lures last for 30 minutes. So pick a good time for buyer traffic to place your lures.
- Host a PokeLure party. Let everyone know the time you will be using your lures and post that on Facebook and Twitter.
- You add lure after lure to make your party last longer.
- Text it to your buyer and seller prospect list
- Create some posters for your window like: Pokemon Loves our Listings and so will you.
- You can host a PokeHunt. You announce the date and time and meeting place of your PokeHunt. This is great for an open house caravan. Everyone meets at your office. Then you go off together through the neighborhood hunting for Pokemons while taking a tour of your open house listings from your office.
- Your office team should have tshirts made showing they are the guides for the hunt along with your office logo and branding and some witty slogan in relation to the hunt.
- During the hunt and during your lures, you can tell the people to take screenshots of their Pokemon finds, then post them on their Facebook page and tagging your business in the post. Do the same with Instragram.
- Coordinate your hunt with a local restaurant that is close to your real estate office. Have everyone meet at the restaurant for the "after party" and have the restaurant pass out discounts. You can offer to buy the lures to place at the restaurant.
Sponsor a Pokemon Go Tips list. Place it at your business and open houses.
- Take screenshots of you behind Pokemon before they are caught. Great way to start branding yourself.
Of course, use the appropriate logo and TM, etc. I am not an attorney and I am not giving you legal advice.
Real estate agent Jay Glazer hoped a redesigned roof deck might help draw potential buyers to the open house at his $1.5 million listing but, just in case, he added this to the ad:
"I'm fairly certain there is a PIKACHU at this open house, don't miss it.”
If your business is not a PokeStop or PokeGym - you can request to be added here:
Stay in the know with Pokemon updates. There will be more ways in which your business can work with Pokemon Go to increase your business in super inexpensive ways!
I am sure that Nintendo is working on ways to have business promote themselves on the app for different prices. Right now, it does not cost anything to be a PokeStop or PokeGym, they are also preset.
The ideas are limited only by your imagination!
Make sure you download Pokemon Go to check out if your business is a Pokemon Stop or Gym.