Baseball and Real Estate...Have you noticed that the object of both is to "GO HOME"! As the dog days of Summer wind on through August, it may be time to head out to a Diamondbacks game for some fun, relaxation and some real estate wisdom. The wisdom of going home!
Owning a home is good for us and for America. Baseball tradition, hot dogs, apple pie & going "Home".
Baseball is an American Tradition & as the comedian George Carlin would say it is all about going HOME! In John Fogerty's famous song "Centerfield" the lyrics say, "there is new grass on the field...he is rounding third, heading for home, a brown eyed handsome man (Jackie Robinson)...anyone can understand the way I feel..."
Even us as REALTORS® listening to the wisdom of past New York Yankee® baseball great and Hall of Famer Yogi Berra can learn something about our profession and the sayings of baseball. After all in both cases we are trying to GO HOME! There are philosphers with all types of impressive sounding theories on wisdom for life. But keeping it simple like Yogi did for baseball works better for me with his pearls of wisdom that also help, me in Real Esatate. After all we are "Going Home" in both cases.
When Yogi Berra Spoke People Listened
Baseball and Real Estate "Philosopher" Yogi Berra
Yogi Berra as a hall of fame catcher spent a lot of time at Home Plate so he knew the importance of GOING HOME in Baseball as well as Real Estate. Here are some of his mystical sayings with a Baseball meaning and a hidden Real Estate meaning in parenthesis for each:
- It ain't over till it's over (Pending homes can come back on the market) The game is not over until the last out has been recorded. A team could come back with a late rally.
- It gets late early out there... Referring to the adverse sun conditions in left field at Yankee Stadium. (If the client wants to see one more home as the sun is setting, do it. It may be the one!)
- Little things are big. (Paying attention to the clients "must haves" if you find the house that has that one thing...may clinch the transaction) Running out a grounder is important if the infielder bobbles a routine chance. Getting on base or not getting on base can affect the ability to "Go Home" and score the winning run in a close game.
- Pair up in threes. (Try to get everyone go through the house together, rather than have husband and wife split up when showing a home. This way they hear each others comments and so do we as their REALTOR®) Using organization to get through a Spring Training session.
Thank you for making this day necessary. (Thank you for choosing me as your REALTOR®)
- Note: This was said on Yogi Berra day in 1947 in St. Louis. By his account, he asked a teammate to write a speech, and he misspoke, saying "necessary" instead of "possible."
- We made too many of the wrong mistakes. (Be careful, not to go to low with multiple LOW BALL offers that are obviously lower than other sold homes in the neighborhood as you could insult the Seller where they do not want to take any more offers from a Buyer. A Buyer can lose a unique home of their dreams)....Per Yogi, On why the Yankees failed to win a 5th consecutive American League pennant in 1959.
- You can observe a lot by watching. (Watching, listening to clients more and talking less can lead to BIG results) Watching if a pitcher is "tipping" his pitches or if there is an infield shift...hit it to the opposite field.
- [What time is it?] You mean now? (Understand hidden meanings when it seems obvious in conversing with your clients) Only Yogi, knew what this one meant
- When you come to a Fork in the Road...Take it!. (Sometimes inaction on our part is the worst thing. Make a decision and go with it strong. This could be related to marketing choices, recommending or choosing a home, or other decisions before us) Do something! If you are unable to hit a pitcher, maybe it is time to not get out of the way and get hit by a pitch. Get on base! Start a rally. Go Home!
Well there you have it with my Real Estate analysis of the Master of Baseball and life Yogi Berra. I hope this helps.
The object of Real Estate and Baseball is to GO HOME!
Baseball and Real Estate number one objective is to GO HOME!
Want to "Go Home" to a Scottsdale or Arizona Home?
Are you thinking of going home by moving to Scottsdale or the great desert southwest? If so, check out homes for sale in Scottsdale
Meet Jeff Masich, REALTOR® in Scottsdale Arizona + Baseball and Real Estate Fan
If you are looking to move to Arizona or Scottsdale and looking to buy a home in Arizona or sell a home in Arizona, contact Jeffrey Masich, Associate Broker and Realtor. As a specialty, I am the KING of HOMES FOR SALE with RV GARAGE or RV GATE. I would be pleased to help you and look out for your best interests while finding you the right home at the right price!