If You Don’t Know Me by Now, Here’s a Little Somethin’-Somethin’ from Your Charlotte NC Gal
First of all, MANY thanks to those who keep our monthly challenges going. We are so blessed with members who care deeply and give each and every day, week, month to this community, year-after-year. Carol Williams & Kathy Streib are, what I call, our ActiveRain Angels - they are ALWAYS more than willing to help and they support our challenges several times each year…a BIG thank you to you both!
Thanks to you two for giving us this fun challenge for May. Without further ado, here are the answers to your questions…
1. What was your first job and what did you learn from it? I always did babysitting for our family’s friends but, my first ‘real’ (paycheck, W9) job was for Hardee’s! My BFF worked across the mall at the theatre and I took a ‘restaurant’ job, learning the ins and outs of customer service!
My hours flew by as we were always busy and hers drug by as she was busy for 30 minutes, then bored out of her mind for 2 hours! I learned two things with this job - 1. How important it is to have a job/career that keeps you busy during the time you’re working. When you’re busy, time FLIES! 2. I remember my manager drilling in our heads, “The Customer Is Always RIGHT” over and over again. Customer service was his focus and it became mine in my careers for life.
2. How long have you been in the real estate or related service industry? 18 glorious years.
3. What is your biggest fear and what have you done to try to conquer it? Public speaking WAS my biggest fear and I worked over and over in various jobs to overcome that. I feel like my fear of heights has now surpassed that initial public speaking fear.
4. What would you do if you knew you would not fail? OH, investments comes to mind here - I would likely embrace gambling and risk it ALL!!
5. What is a habit you would love to eliminate or change? My passion for cheese - I would LOVE to rid myself of that passion! It has caused me more health issues than I ever imagined - from hypertension to high cholesterol to weight gain and incredibly painful arthritis as a result of the weight gain! Thankfully, I am well on my way to shedding that passion but, it has taken me a LONG time to do so! I can still see myself using cheese as my comfort food when life brings me the most difficult of challenges.
6. What is your favorite meal (forget about calories or what you shouldn’t eat) Anything seafood - I love lobster, scallops, tilapia, mahi-mahi, shrimp, oysters…yes, ANY seafood! Throw in some grilled asparagus and I’m all good!
7. What is something you wish you’d done? Gotten my pilot’s license. I’m living vicariously through my brother and my American Airline pilot clients!
8. Who has been most influential in your life? First my Dad, then my husband - he remains my biggest confidant and cheerleader. I am most grateful to have them both in my life.
9. What are your favorite business-related books? Rich Dad Poor Dad (Robert Kiyosaki) & Think and Grow Rich (Napolean Hill). I love the positivity of those two!
10. Other than business books what are your favorite things to read? Oh my gosh, I love mystery and historic novels. I am currently reading Sparks Like Stars by Nadia Hashimi. There is some parallelism to what is going on in the Ukraine right now; it’s really quite riveting!
11. What are your top 5 favorite movies?
- Believe it or not, Independence Day - love the drama, politics, action & romance, all wrapped into one.
- The Green Mile
- Top Gun (as much as I dislike Tom Cruise, I loved this movie)!
- Shawshank Redemption
12. If I came to visit your city for one day what is the one thing I must do or see? Spend the day at the lake with me - and dine in one of the locals’ favorite restaurants on the lake!
13. If I came to your city to visit for one day what is the one restaurant you would recommend? Having Johnson & Wales University in the heart of Charlotte’s Uptown, we are blessed with MANY incredibly talented chefs in our area. I would have to recommend 3 - Supperland, The Fig Tree Restaurant and for a fun lunch, Mert’s.
14. If I was going to relocate to your area what advice would you give me that is unique to the area? Oh there’s SO much! We have 4 glorious seasons - oh and when it snows, the entire city shuts down. Our city is beautifully green - there’s very little concrete.
If you love the outdoors, there is something for you to enjoy in all corners of the city, year-round.
We are located 2.5 hours from both the ocean and the mountains.
And, what is so cool about Charlotte is that, despite our being 15th largest city in the nation, we are a welcoming, diverse group. My BFF, who is a native New Yorker, always makes fun of the fact that we fry EVERYTHING in North Carolina! 🤣
15. Do you have any special talents? I don’t know if having a green thumb is ‘talent’ but, my best therapy is ‘playing in the dirt’ and growing delectable veggies & gorgeous flowers!
16 Do you have any quirks? You’ll have to speak with my husband about that!
Seriously, I detest voicemail so, if I can, I answer my phone. The phone-tag game gives me angst so, I do everything I can to avoid playing that game!
17. What is your best character trait? I believe it has to be positivity - it’s REALLY difficult to get me down. I will find that silver lining in every single cloud!
It’s a tough choice as I’m also fiercely loyal and trusting of others and my friendships are typically life-long.
18. Have you ever done anything you would never do again because it was too hard or too dangerous? Not on your life! The more daring, fun, adventurous…the better! I believe in living life with #NoRegrets!!
19. What is your favorite thing to do in your spare time? Watch our amazing North Carolina sunsets with my amazing hubby. How fun to have the backdrop of God’s artwork in the sky as we solve the world’s problems and laugh together.
20. If you could live anywhere in the world where would you want to live? Charlotte…is there really anywhere else better to live?!!
21. What is something that we don’t know about you that would surprise us? This one has has me stumped for weeks…I finally asked my hubby and he was stumped for quite some time too. Finally, he came back and said, “You bait one hell of a hook!” Believe it or not, I taught my boys to ride bicycles - shedding their training wheels and I also taught them how to fish (among many other things but, these are two things typically taught by ‘dads!’). Yes, I’m a Tom Boy at heart and am a guy’s girl - probably because I’ve always been surrounded by boys! LOL
Thanks again, Carol & Kathy! You girls ROCK!