Recently a friend of mine said that she had been diagnosed by her allergist with sensitivities to medicine and several other severe allergic reactions. She responded very well to homeopathic and herbal medicines but found it most important to constantly guard against any source of toxins. Because of this, she requested immediate testing for mold in her home by a professional mold remediation specialist.
When considering a physician for a specific issue like this, it’s also a good idea to consider the particular specialty of the doctor. Unless your allergist has training specifically in the areas of environmental health and immunology, he or she may not be sure of the best course to follow to diagnose or treat conditions caused by prolonged exposure to mold. He or she may order the normal allergy tests which usually result in inconclusive results then pursue the general treatment of weekly allergy shots. This may or may not be of help if the problem is mold. There are many different species of mold, and they have different effects on different bodies. The elderly and very young children are the most susceptible to mold spores. Mold produces mycotoxins which cannot be seen and enter the body primarily through skin or human airways. Once they have entered your body, they may spread throughout the body causing multiple issues.
There are many different types of diseases that can be caused by many different types of mold, but one of the most interesting of them to me is mycotoxicosis which results from eating food products already contaminated by fungi. There are a plethora of symptoms including fibromyalgia, IBS, respiratory problems, vision problems, night sweats, nose bleeds, memory loss, dirt-like taste in the mouth, anxiety, liver problems, kidney problems, thyroid problems, boils, hair loss, irregular heart beat, etc. which may result from mycotoxicosis. Of course, no one displays them all and certainly not all people who have these symptoms can attribute them to mold, but most people experiencing mycotoxicosis have several from the list.
Just as my friend was careful in choosing her allergist, she was also careful about choosing the company who would perform the mold inspection for her home. She chose one that had been established for many years, who had certifications to prove their qualifications, answered her questions courteously, had good references, and performed her tests efficiently and promptly. Be sure to do your homework to protect your home and body from dangerous toxins.