Ten Pretty Good Rules
These are courtesy of a great attorney,now since retired,C.Ingrid Larsen,Esq who was a superb Landlord Rights advocate while still having empathy for the tenant. Smart Gal--now retired in a sleepy village in Northern California. Thanks Ingrid. Your legacy lives (and that of your father!).
1. Never argue with an idiot; people watching may not be able to tell the difference!--Oh how true is this! With a market place generating a ton of offers and no acceptance, we can sometimes get frustrated with a buyer who just insists on offering 10% below the list price even though there are mulitple offers, 50 cards on the kitchen counter and 1 day on the market!! Sometimes we need to let folks go who just don't get it!
2. Observe everything; admire nothing--Do you know in mideastern culture if you openly admit to admiring a lovely piece of art or striking painting that the host is obligated to give it to you as a gift! But guess what--you in turn must do the same and give a gift of "like-kind"!! Careful!
3. It's easier to get forgiveness than permission--I've been known to push this one!
4. Rarely resist the opportunity to keep your mouth shut---He who talks first looses! Or god gave us two ears and one mouth--do you GET the ratio!
5. Don't ask the question if you can't live with the answer! or as Zig Ziglar says, "Don't be the answer to their prayers until you KNOW what they are praying for!!
6. If you want a new idea, read an old book--some of the greatest literature is based on the bible. Imitate a writing style which keeps simplicity as its goal. Hemmingway was legendary at this. Mental gymnastics-TS Elliot!
7. If you don't know where you're going, any road will get you there.--or as Yogi Berra once quipped, "When you come to a fork in the road--take it!" or Frost's comments: "The woods are lovely, dark, and deep, But I have promises to keep, And miles to go before I sleep, And miles to go before I sleep."
8. Never have a philosophy which supports a lack of courage-and if you don't think it takes courage to get through this market then you need a check up from the neck up!
9. Never look back unless you intend to go that way--Forward thinking is good as we are NOT going to see the old market again for many, many years! The new reality is upon us--embrace it or face oblivion!
10. Never wrestle with a pig; you both get dirty and the pig likes it!--Yes, we've all had that client and I learned many, many years ago to avoid them at all costs. Leave this planet with your reputation intact please! You leave behind your legacy. What will yours be?