Big week in the Men's College Basketball world. The field has narrowed from 63 teams to the Final Four. Interestingly, the four teams that were seeded #1 are the four teams that are left. There's usually some surprise team in the final couple of games; some underdog that rose from obscurity to greatness in the course of a few weeks. But not this year. The four best teams have outlasted the rest of the field.
Kansas, UCLA, Memphis, and North Carolina. At the last second, I joined a pool with 9 other guys, threw in my $20, and hoped for the best. Literally. I picked the four strongest teams to win. And they did.
Which led to me to this: Many times, only the best survive. As we live out this period of real estate Darwinism, the strongest realtors and mortgage professionals will emerge. The industry is consolidating and rather than get eaten by the bigger, faster animal, our goal is to become the one doing the eating. We must call back, prospect, cooperate, communicate, network, study, innovate, and change better than anyone else in our market.
Here's what I've done:
1. Call other mortgage companies and ask them how we can help each other.
2. Look into Internet Leads companies to provide a new source of business.
3. Set daily goals of the number of clients I hope to talk with.
4. Create a foreclosure bus tour that takes qualified buyers directly to bank-owned properties here in Manatee County (see: Foreclosure Bus).
5. Volunteer to facilitate a local real estate investor club in Bradenton, FL.
6. Hire new loan officers that share the same business philosophy as we do.
The big game is here. Teams are dropping out and getting beat. But there will be winners and I'm hoping we all fall into that bracket.