My Soap Box Maybe, Common Sense Definitely: Support Local Small Businesses!
It takes you to start the trend where you live.
There is a movement in this country that is positive, that is proactive and that is out to battle the growing National Debt and outsourcing of jobs. It's called buying local and supporting our small businesses. When you shop/buy local over big box stores, you are doing so much to help your local small businesses thrive and thus battling our national debt and bringing back America to a better state. Too dramatic? I think not and let's look at why...
This country will not repair itself from the top down, it'll be a concentrated effort from the bottom up. It starts with entrepreneurs in small businesses across this country creating their own economy. Successful small business brings in local jobs, revenue for the city and commerce for other local businesses. It also bolsters up the local Chamber of Commerce which in turn attracts and supports relocating businesses and citizens (more local tax dollars). Think about it:
- You keep your money in your city, not exporting it to some national or international company.
- You create a diversity of choices in your local market's tourism; making your town or city a destination.
- You create a job market instead of watching it disappear.
- It raises property values, creating more local tax dollars and jobs.
- You focus your tax dollars on your community.
- You back and invest in entrepreneurs, both aspiring and existing.
- You attract students to your local colleges & universities because there is a healthy job market just off campus. This encourages people to stay after graduating.
- You support environmental efforts and the arts. As this extends to buying locally grown/raised food (farmer's markets) and supporting local artists and musicians.
- You reinvigorate and encourage community.
- Local businesses will appreciate you far more than big business. Walmart has to hire greeter, your local shops naturally greet and remeber you, because they appreciate you!
- It just feels good to support your neighbors.
As we build up our own local resources, we in affect ask for less from our government, allowing it to focus more resources on paying down the national debt. Cynicism will argue my point, which are not political, they are just common sense and I agree I'm simplifying to some degree. But, it starts with a simple plan like this, it doesn't have to be complicated.
It will take people at the top, with competence and character, to meet our efforts here with a morality that ensures our efforts intention; restoring America in part, through getting us out of debt. But I also see it this way, while you may be doubting the morality of the top, why not do this anyhow, we still win locally for the efforts. Charity starts at home, meaning, you can't fix the U.S.A. until you fix your home, your neighborhood, your town, your city first.
This is an amazing country to live in while pursue happiness, I do not take it for granted and so I suggest if neither do you, we start supporting local small businesses, even if it costs a buck or two more. Look at this way, if you too own a business, Amazon will never refer you a client, but the relationships you build with your local businesses, can create a nice reciprocal referral pipeline as a bonus.
Thank you to Dorie Dillard for inspiring me to finally write this after reading her wonderful post today.