One of my very favorite Active Rainers has a dilemma... she asked me to ask you to help her... under a veil of anonymity, 'cause, well, y'know...
So... here's the situation. Thoughts?
"Currently my license is placed with a brokerage that takes 50% of my commission. When I signed up, this didn't bother me as there were a lot of things my office did to support me/my business and therefore EARN the split. In less than one year, though, a lot has changed:
- Our company has significantly cut newspaper ads. We used to have 3 full pages every weekend, now we have 1 full page.
- All our listings used to be automatically 'enhanced' on Realtor.com - now we have to pay for this.
- Our office used to supply 100 Just Sold and Just Listed cards for every listing/sale. These were automatically mailed to a radius around the sale/listing. Now they will only do 50.
- Our secretarial staff has been cut from 3 to 1. With over 130 agents in our office, the one secretary is obviously overworked and there are numerous mistakes happening. We aren't allowed control over entering our own listings in the MLS, and consequently we spend a lot of time chasing people down to 'fix' new listings.
- Our company increased its BS Fee (they call it Broker Administrative Commission... I call it the BullS--- Fee) and will no longer waive it for FHA buyers or for any sellers unless they pay a higher commission. I just LOVE explaining this extra commission (that I don't get a cut of...)
- I had a listing get 'hijacked' on Craigslist over the weekend. Someone put it up for rent as part of a scam. I called my broker for help in dealing with it. Her response "well our office didn't post it. What do you want us to do?" Um, how about SUPPORT me?
Our office will still pay for all the postage you want, and there are many who take full advantage of this. But I don't because I'm a SOULful agent and know that no one ever got a listing because of a refrigerator magnet. Maybe I'm just particularly irritated tonight... but I can't help but wonder if there aren't greener pastures out there?"
My initial thoughts below...